Binning flourescent tube for ceiling rose

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to change the fitting by dumping the old tube and fitting a standard rose type unit. The tube works off a single light switch and I want to leave this as is. When I look at the wires connecting the tube there are a number of red, black and green, do I simply connect all these into the separete connectors in the new rose?? (all reds to one connection, all blacks to another, and earth to another)
Thank you for any help you can offer.

Sponsored Links
oldfella said:
do I simply connect all these into the separete connectors in the new rose?? (all reds to one connection, all blacks to another, and earth to another)

No! All reds together, all earths together but one of the black conductors should have a red sleeve. This is the switched live and connects to the live terminal of the light fitting.

See below:

Red - brown
Black - blue
electrics:lighting:lrblbn1w.gif

Sponsored Links
Indeed, the bin Police will be on you like a ton of asbestos.

See regs re this at http://www.sepa.org.uk/pdf/guidance/waste/swan/SWAN01.pdf

This, of course, includes low energy lamps and we will all have to be using those in the near future.
I wonder if the lamp police have considered the additional cost of disposal in with their savings calculations of low energy v tungsten lamps :rolleyes:

Low energy lamps have a very bad power factor. You have to supply more power to them but as your meter only reads true power you dont pay for it. In fact they consume more power than a normal light bulb.

Taylortwocities said:
Indeed, the bin Police will be on you like a ton of asbestos.

Do these police share an office with the Part P police and anti-smoking police?

As only the latter is funded, can we assume that neither the bin police nor the Part P police exist, so no-one will catch our transgressions?

lookinn said:
Low energy lamps have a very bad power factor. You have to supply more power to them but as your meter only reads true power you dont pay for it. In fact they consume more power than a normal light bulb.
*******s :rolleyes:

Taylortwocities said:
This, of course, includes low energy lamps and we will all have to be using those in the near future.

That remains to be seen.

Some recent research from Germany showed that energy saving lamps used the same amount of energy as traditional filiament lamps. Moreover, microwave ovens used a negative amount of electricity!

I ought to point out that the research used multivariate regression analysis to obtain the consumption of an additional appliance/lamp to a household. Thus in the case of the microwave oven, the reduced use of a normal oven was taken into account. The addition of the microwave reduced annual consumption by 41 kWh a year.

Those who find the poor use of English on this forum irksome will be overjoyed by the report's inclusion of education as a variable. It seems that the thickos consume 114 kWh a year more because they're thick. :LOL:

Link for unbelievers: http://mail.mtprog.com/CD_Layout/Day_3_23.06.06/0900-1045/ID210_Gruber_final.pdf

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back