Biomass boilers and thermal stores....

But Tony....He's gonna get the RHI Tarriff aint he?

Generally speaking, I find that it is cheaper over the seven years to ignore the RHI and fit a cheaper boiler....There is a lot of song and dance about these fancy German boilers but like German cars, are made unreliable by their unnecessary overcomplication...

Its actually a swiss one that's tickling my fancy :)

I don't see how its going to be cheaper to fit something without the RHI over 7 years? Its worth 28-31k for me over 7 years. If you say a 10k bill to install something decent, thats my cash and a minimum of 18k back. A 5 year warranty means nothing to pay, its £300 to extend it to 7 years... Honestly how can it be cheaper to Pay £3.5ish k for a gas boiler/connection?

I know its a stupid scheme but for once in my life I'm in a position where it might make sense.

http://www.rainbowheatandpower.co.uk/resources/Effecta_Komplett_III_leaflet.pdf

Sponsored Links
The more of this interesting post I read the more amusing it becomes!

The OP has been quite rude and dismissive to many who have tried to help him.

He wants a system using perhaps the most complicated, expensive components and requiring fuel storage, deliveries, weekly user maintenance and as pointed out a warrantee delivery which will probably have significant delays in any repairs.

But he now tells us that for LESS cost he could have a mains gas supply, Vaillant or other mainstream boiler with a service engineer or agent in the town three miles away and a system which will carry on working for six months without human intervention on its automatic controls. He can use his new unvented cylinder which he already has. Total cost £1500 for gas supply and £2000 for boiler and install.

The gist of his requirement is good hot water delivery. But he does not appear to have bothered to have measured his mains water dynamic flow rate which is the first essential!

As an aside, the economics of wood pellets is interesting. With low demand they could be sourced from waste wood but that varies according to the manufacturing industries which produce waste. Having to use felled trees for the fuel supply is likely to greatly increase the cost.

Bit like using old chip shop oil for running your diesel cars. Good idea but the chip shop staff already do that and the demand for old oil exceeds supply!

Tony

I think there's varying reports on the quality & costs regarding pellets. I guess it's the old adage of 'supply & demand' & paying well over the odds if your the only 'gay in the village' - so to speak!

Sponsored Links

He wants a system using perhaps the most complicated, expensive components and requiring fuel storage, deliveries, weekly user maintenance and as pointed out a warrantee delivery which will probably have significant delays in any repairs.

But he now tells us that for LESS cost he could have a mains gas supply, Vaillant or other mainstream boiler with a service engineer or agent in the town three miles away and a system which will carry on working for six months without human intervention on its automatic controls. He can use his new unvented cylinder which he already has. Total cost £1500 for gas supply and £2000 for boiler and install.

The gist of his requirement is good hot water delivery. But he does not appear to have bothered to have measured his mains water dynamic flow rate which is the first essential!

As an aside, the economics of wood pellets is interesting. With low demand they could be sourced from waste wood but that varies according to the manufacturing industries which produce waste. Having to use felled trees for the fuel supply is likely to greatly increase the cost.

Bit like using old chip shop oil for running your diesel cars. Good idea but the chip shop staff already do that and the demand for old oil exceeds supply!

Tony

I think there's varying reports on the quality & costs regarding pellets. I guess it's the old adage of 'supply & demand' & paying well over the odds if your the only 'gay in the village' - so to speak!

There is, however there's 3 places within 15miles that supplies the right 'class' pellets.

Tony

There is, however there's 3 places within 15miles that supplies the right 'class' pellets.

Hmmmmm........good luck with that!!

Tony

Hmmmmm........good luck with that!!

I'm not sure what that's suppose to mean?

I don't see how its going to be cheaper to fit something without the RHI over 7 years? Its worth 28-31k for me over 7 years. If you say a 10k bill to install something decent, thats my cash and a minimum of 18k back. A 5 year warranty means nothing to pay, its £300 to extend it to 7 years... Honestly how can it be cheaper to Pay £3.5ish k for a gas boiler/connection?

I know its a stupid scheme but for once in my life I'm in a position where it might make sense.

http://www.rainbowheatandpower.co.uk/resources/Effecta_Komplett_III_leaflet.pdf[/QUOTE]

Or Swedish even....I'd be inclined to get a price to supply and fit and certify one of those babies....You may be surprised how much an RHI installer may charge...They know how much you'll be making out of this so they'll want a slice of the action too.... Though I may just be a little cynical....

http://www.rainbowheatandpower.co.uk/resources/Effecta_Komplett_III_leaflet.pdf[/QUOTE]

Or Swedish even....I'd be inclined to get a price to supply and fit and certify one of those babies....You may be surprised how much an RHI installer may charge...They know how much you'll be making out of this so they'll want a slice of the action too.... Though I may just be a little cynical....

Thats exactly what I'm doing, you're not being cynical, I've had quotes of 26k to supply and fit one! Its totally ott. List price is £9300, I've managed to cut out all the 'energy companies' and go direct, so its about £9800 for the boiler, 3 zone control packs, expansion vessel, silo, flue etc. Just sorting out someone to 'commission it' who's MCS registered.

Its totally OTT what these companies are charging and what people are paying. The first question they ask is for a copy of my epc so they can see what return i'd get.

I agree with some of the others with regard to the RHI.... I think that you are suffering from double standards.... The money that you will receive on the RHI is paid for by folk who are least able to pay the inflated energy prices. For you to argue that you object to paying for an installation company to share in your unwarranted windfall is somewhat comical...

In basic terms, the RHI is robbing the poor to give money to the well off...

I agree with some of the others with regard to the RHI.... I think that you are suffering from double standards.... The money that you will receive on the RHI is paid for by folk who are least able to pay the inflated energy prices. For you to argue that you object to paying for an installation company to share in your unwarranted windfall is somewhat comical...

I'm happy to pay for 'installation' etc, however its only a days job, not 10+K's worth.

I wish I was 'well off' I totally get what you are saying, regarding solar panels etc I totally agree. The only slight difference is that the RHI is paid for by the government, to meet 2020 carbon agreements which have penalty payments attached. So if they don't meet targets they pay out anyway. For me, I've an old house which is a project as I had to relocate and couldn't afford something 'done'. The RHI will pay towards that :) So i'm at ease with it.

I'm happy to pay for 'installation' etc, however its only a days job, not 10+K's worth.

I wish I was 'well off' I totally get what you are saying, regarding solar panels etc I totally agree. The only slight difference is that the RHI is paid for by the government, to meet 2020 carbon agreements which have penalty payments attached. So if they don't meet targets they pay out anyway. For me, I've an old house which is a project as I had to relocate and couldn't afford something 'done'. The RHI will pay towards that :) So i'm at ease with it.

Good, if it's only a days work then get on with it.... You can enjoy telling the man who has the key to a large quantity of cash how he is only worth £300. I won't open up the debate over the EU and the theory of man made global warming, those debates get awfully boring... Good luck with your install

Good, if it's only a days work then get on with it.... You can enjoy telling the man who has the key to a large quantity of cash how he is only worth £300. I won't open up the debate over the EU and the theory of man made global warming, those debates get awfully boring... Good luck with your install

Its a daily rate isn't it? I work on weekly on projects worth millions, I don't get paid ££££'s a day. I'll update the thread as it goes in :) I think come next year when commercial rates drop 20% and domestic 10% a lot of companies will restructure their pricing.

Just as they did for Solar PV....The RHI registered installers have to make hay while the sun shines so you may struggle to get anyone to sign off your install knowing that your money depends on them.... If you work on multi million pound projects then you will know how it works..

By the way if we need to pay the EU a fine,then it comes from the tax payers pocket and is not slapped onto the price of energy... RHI funding comes from the energy consumer through inflated energy bills.

Good luck in finding a mug to sign off your job for £300

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back