Bit of an exam question!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,
I've been left with a first-fix lighting circuit I need to finish up. It has three zones A, B and C. There are 2 switches: a single, double and triple -they operate the zones as per the diagram below.

Each switch has the following wires going to it. All are 3 core and Earth apart from the the 2 core and earth to the left switch. Zones A and B should be easy to do, but what about zone C? Why are there two 3 core and earth cables on the right-hand switch? Does one of these take a permanent live off the switch for zone C?

kitchenlighting.gif

Any thoughts much appreciated. :confused: :?:

Sponsored Links
If you don't know, how are we supposed to???

It depends how it has been wired, whether 3c&E cables have been used instead of 2c&E, and a whole host of other factors.

Bell them out!

The only comment I would have is that the r/h switch "B" is an intermediate.

Didn't you ask your lecturer for some hints?

are you sure that the left hand 2g switch(B) isnt 3c+e, that would then make zone B controlled by 2way & inter switching.

Then the 3g switch (C) has the T/E making one way switch for zone c.

As Securespark says, I would think the R/H switch is an intermediate for zone B,plus switch C would just utilise 2 cores for a 1-way cct. & you are a cable short to be able to connect zone A as a 2-way

Sponsored Links
sorry, the cables arn't above any particular switch in the diagram, Actually, on the left hand switch, the 2c+E supplies Zone A. The remaining 3c+E cables are presumably to run up to the uppermost switch in the diagram for the 2-way switching.

Agreed that the R/H switch is an intermediate.

Does that help?

voycie said:
sorry, the cables arn't above any particular switch in the diagram, Actually, on the left hand switch, the 2c+E supplies Zone A. The remaining 3c+E cables are presumably to run up to the uppermost switch in the diagram for the 2-way switching.

Agreed that the R/H switch is an intermediate.

Does that help?
In that case you are short of a cable to supply zone b

both zone A and B already are live - the 2C+E on the left hand switch works the lights in zone A, and one of the 3C+E's on the top switch works the lights for zone B. I dunno how to get zone C lit up though!! :confused:

voycie, I think you are getting a little confused,or you are confusing me,look at the wikki for 2-way lighting ccts.

Yep I'll do that. THe confusion for me lies in not understanding how zone C is going to get power to it based on the circuit I have. Thanks for the input though, and yep I'll take a look as you say. Ta.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back