Bizarre leak - totally confused.

How have we got to "change the ball valve,end of" from a water leak on the ground floor in a 2 storey house with tanks in the roof space? What sort of advice is that :rolleyes:

It happened at my brothers house. Leaky ball valve allowed the tank to overflow, overflow pipework was damaged so water leaked from the loft, through the middle of a stud wall (so no water to see on first floor), and then through the ceiling into the lounge.

It's worth a look. Using the water during the day would mean the level in the tank is constantly dropping. Go to bed at night and a leak from the ball valve could top the tank up to the overflow height. I'd get up in the loft in the morning and go & see where the water level is in the tank. It's a 5 minute check to definately rule it in or out.

Sponsored Links
Hmmm... we'll see tomorrow morning...

I have done further investigation in the loft and noticed that one of the overflow pipes had a suitcase on it and was no longer protuding outside the house. When I waggled it and put it back in place a load of water came out.

So either - somehow the tank is overflowing and the dodgy pipe was sending the water inside one of the walls and it was coming out in the kitchen, or the fridge is knackered.

Hmmm... we'll see tomorrow morning...

I have done further investigation in the loft and noticed that one of the overflow pipes had a suitcase on it and was no longer protuding outside the house. When I waggled it and put it back in place a load of water came out.

So either - somehow the tank is overflowing and the dodgy pipe was sending the water inside one of the walls and it was coming out in the kitchen, or the fridge is knackered.

that ties in with suggestion. If floor dry, check outsied for evience of overflow dripping. Then suspect ball valve or split coil in cylinder (or defective mixer taps)

Sponsored Links
I never understand why these questions seem to give people such a problem.

An inspection at 0500hrs would always reveal the cause.

Tony

OK - point taken. Went down at 5am this morning...

To my surprise there was no puddle outside, towels totally dry near the fridge but a puddle of water that had appeared to have come from underneath the washing machine (running towards the fridge). Bear in mind that this is on all day without any problem, so I'm going to pull it out tonight and see if I can find out more.

I guess maybe the hose has gone a bit dodgy and there is a build up of pressure overnight which is coming out. Or there is something more sinister behind the washing machine ?!?

You'll often find a crushed sub-contractor behind the washing machine, and they can be quite sinister...

If it is coming from a frost-free fridge-freezer, the condensate should drain onto a saucer shaped dish on top of the compressor. The heat then evaporates this water. If the condensate drain from inside the back of the fridge section is blocked, this may be leaking all over the floor, or the drain pipe may be missing the dish and running onto the floor. If your door seals are leaking air, it will be generating much more condensate than usual - and using more electricity, and shortening the life of your appliance. It is possible that this happens only at night because there are no door openings, less load on the refrigerating kit, and this may be the only time per 24 hours when the frost melts and runs away.

OK, mystery solved.

Turned out it was a dodgy cold water supply to the dishwasher that was leaking overnight. This was in turn going under the cupboards and then coming out under the washing machine, which was in turn running towards the fridge! I guess the pressure must have peaked at 5am and cause it to give.

I have replaced the hose and the problem, is well... sort of sorted. No more leaking but the drinking water now has a funny TCP taste ? I've done a google and I believe I need to fit a "non-return valve" ? Anyone come across this problem before and can I get such a device from B and Q etc ?

Set the alarm to 5 am and go and see the water leaking.

Mains pressure can get very high during the night, storage tanks overflow etc.

Tony

if you listen to arm chair plumbers you will never find it , its one thing and one thing only change the ball cock on the tank end off

Are you quite so sure the ball valve was the problem now?

If you look back over the thread, you will see that it was indeed solved by following my advice to look at the kitchen at 0500 hrs!

Tony

That was obvioulsy too easy Tony!!!!
some folks just can't get up in the Morning!! :p

tony ,, GET OVER IT, im not real, just a number :LOL: PS now Margery proops as gone the may be a new career around the corner

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back