Black and Decker Scorpion type saw

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone, I'm looking at buying a Black and Decker Scorpion/Bosch Multisaw, or other similar reciprocating saw, and I'm just wondering if any of you lot have any recommendations. I'm looking to pay no more than £40-80, and it would be used initially to cut a couple of feet off a coniffer, cut some bushes down to stumps, and maybe some light pruning of a small tree. Once this is done it would be occasional use only (couple of times a year maybe). Is there anything I need to look out for/avoid? :)

Sponsored Links
the cheaper ones are rubbish even the cheap bosch one. I had a cheap bosch and all it would cut was a twig, sent it back and bought a big one and i fell trees with it

the cheaper ones are rubbish even the cheap bosch one. I had a cheap bosch and all it would cut was a twig, sent it back and bought a big one and i fell trees with it

Lol, define a 'big one', what make/model are we talking about? :LOL:

I brought one of those "cheapo" saws from Aldi a few years ago really just for the one job and it's still going strong, 240v and cost under £30 at the time.
I'm currently using a hired 110v makita which isn't really any better, and the blades fall out after five minutes use probably because of the vibration.
Whatever you choose decent blades are worth it and also a bit of practice with the tool. For instance whatever you are cutting really needs to be firm , a loose piece will simply snag in the teeth and vibrate backwards and forwards and not cut especially if you are using wood cutting blades.
You don't mention them but I'd go for a corded saw over a cordless any day unless you have power supply issues, cordless are generally cost more and weigh more too.

Sponsored Links
I've got the [green] Bosch PFZ 500, have had it years and with the right blade cuts anything from trees, timber, metal to brickwork. Brilliant tool

I don't know if they were bosch blades, but I had some pruning bladed which were 300mm long, and they went through softwood trees of that girth no problem

The Bosch blade goes up and down slightly as it cuts to cut better, I think the B&D scorpion and similar only go forwards and backwards

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back