Black and Decker Scorpion ES890EC

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Has anyone got or ever used a Black and Decker Scorpion ES890EC(jigsaw and handsaw)? Is it any good. Will it comfortably cut 4"x4" fence posts? It says it will cut 100m timber? They do them in B&Q for £40.

Sponsored Links
Not used it, but from looking at them they seem just the same as any 'all purpose' saw. But perhaps less 'all purpose' if it only takes B&D blades.

I have a Bosch all purpose saw which will do fence posts no problem - and it will cut as deep as the blades - 8", so I assume the B&D will cut as deep as its blades too

Thanks Woody. How much was your Bosch and where did you get it from?

Wife bought me one as a pressy 2 Christmas 2 ago (a lot cheaper than that though); I was bit sceptical at first but I’ve found it pretty useful all round & it certainly takes the effort out of using a hand saw. I’ve built a large shed with it & repaired fences so 4” timber is no problem; they are also pretty nifty at cutting floorboards neatly across the top of a joist (in situ) when you want to take them up.

Don’t use it on manufactured board though as it will blunt the blade very quickly &, like all such consumables, they are ridiculously expensive! ;)

Sponsored Links
The Bosch (green) saw is about £50-55. I've had mine over 15 years and it has had abuse in this time, but it has been one of the most useful tools for cutting anything.

Anyway, the B&D is similar, and I would check the blade fitting - if it takes common all purpose blades, then it will be useful. If it takes propriatary blades, then it could be expensive to run and blade options limited.

Hi

I've got the Scorpion and have found it very useful (no problem cutting through 4" posts, I'm using it for this at the moment). However, if I was buying similar again I would go for the The Bosch as you get a better choice of blade, they're cheaper and I've always found the availability of the B&D blades to be a hit and miss affair.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back