Black liquid on electricity mains pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all -
This may sound like a really silly question, but - I have just moved into a new house - the first house I have owned - and I noticed, when I was taking an electricity meter reading, that there was a black rubbery liquid on the main pipe going into the meter.
It looked like black paint that I had dried into a rubbery substance.
Does anyone know what this might be? It may well be something to protect the pipe, or it may well be something I need to get looked at urgently?

Can anyone advise?
Really appreciate it.
Tony

Sponsored Links
ok, firstly, electricity comes in wires, not pipes..

secondly, it may be bitumen or rubber or plastic paint on stuff to stop the cable from coroding.. it should be fine..

if you're concerned, call your supplier and tell them you want someone to come and look at it..

black tarry stuff sometimes leaks from meters. Call the number on your electricity bill and tell them. If it is not hot or wet or smoking then it is not an emergency but they will pass the message on and get it changed.

Is it all over the cable, or does it look like it has been dripping down the cable? (like wax drips down a candle)

Is there any chance you could post a photo, so we can establish the age and condition of your cutout and meter?

Sponsored Links
I took the route

http://www.southern-electric.co.uk

search site "emergency"

Click on "leaking meter" about half-way down

(I already knew it was in there somewhere, though)

(If you search site "leaking meter" it is on the third page)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back