Black Pudding and Haggis

Sponsored Links
Yeah, definitely :) You have made me hungry now :confused:

beef-040715.1.5oz.jpg

I remember eating black pudding as a kid. but after seeing hugh fearnley whittingstall making it on discovery real time, i shall now never eat it again. I dont remember what it tastes like, and i guess i'll never know! Haggis - never tried it.
liver and onions - yummmmmmmmmmm. with fluffy mash n gravy!

Sponsored Links
I used to love Liver and onions peas mash and gravy, then one day i had some and the liver was off.

A good discription would be the taste of eating dog poo.

That was the last time i ever ate Liver.

Black pudding with big lumps of fat that you can pick out and nibble on and feel your arteries clogging ;)

Freddie said:
I used to love Liver....

A good discription would be the taste of eating dog poo.

That was the last time i ever ate Liver.
;)

Cheaper alternative, maybe....but really can't be good for you, Freddie :LOL:

crafty1289 said:
I remember eating black pudding as a kid. but after seeing hugh fearnley whittingstall making it on discovery real time, i shall now never eat it again.
That's just plain daft...

Haggis? It's OK - basically cheap peasant food, and not much to write home about.

Liver? Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. With onions. Or bacon. Or casseroled with peppers. Or with a cream, mushroom & sherry sauce. Or as part of a mixed grill. Or made into pate.

Funny story:

I was on a residential training course once, staying in a hotel (had a fantastic time with the wine, but that's another tale).

Anyway, the course was being taught by an American woman, and many Americans are not into offal. (if mlb3c stops by, maybe she can confirm?)

The hotel had an excellent breakfast buffet, and one morning I was standing next to her at it. "What are those?" she asked me, pointing at a dish of kidneys.

"Kidneys", said I.

"What, from the inside?"

"That's generally where they work best."

She looked a little uncomfortable. "What's that?" she asked, pointing at the black pudding.

"It's called black pudding. It's a type of sausage, made mainly from congealed pig's blood, which is why it's black."

She went very pale, and said "I think I'll just have some toast".

Freddie said:
.........A good discription would be the taste of eating dog poo...........

Never tried dog poo, but if it tastes of liver it's ok in my books :) Do you have to fry it with onions to bring the flavour out? ;)

ban-all-sheds said:
crafty1289 said:
I remember eating black pudding as a kid. but after seeing hugh fearnley whittingstall making it on discovery real time, i shall now never eat it again.
That's just plain daft...
1. i cant stand the man
2. the way he was goin on with all this blood and gettin covered in it just made me want to vomit.
3. you'll eat anything when you're a kid!

crafty1289 said:
1. i cant stand the man
So? He didn't invent it - he doesn't get a royalty on every one that's made.
2. the way he was goin on with all this blood and gettin covered in it just made me want to vomit.
You don't have to watch it being made in order to eat it.
3. you'll eat anything when you're a kid!
Unusual to like something like that as a kid, and then later come to dislike it.

Anyway - I think you're missing out on something nice for reasons which make no sense, but it's not worth arguing over....

HF-W used to irritate me a great deal, but I saw a programme of his where he was going on about meat and how it should be wild and treated with the utmost care and respect as it has died because of you and you are going to ingest it. This is what animist people say.

He also made a vegan meal once and did not act all funny like some chefs do because there were no animal products: he just got on with it, and it looked pretty tasty too.

what is "offal"?

I had never heard of black pudding and have never tried kidneys---

but I guess it's what you are used to .....I love broiled/braised calf liver with onions (as long as I don't think about the baby cows, I'm fine)

but I don't like chicken gizzards or hearts (my ex loved them) or really any of the other "insides" ..... :)

in the same "vein" (no punn intended) as black pudding you can also get
white pudding

fruit pudding

see here

and for those who do not know this is a a captured haggis

haggis.jpg

and yes it is supposed to have one leg longer than the other, thats because they live on mountain tops, this unique "feature" is also used to advantage in capturing them, as you should sneek up behind them and shout "boo" they then turn round (forgetting they have one leg longer than the other) and roll down the mountain where they are collected.

at least that is a summary of what the leaflet says :LOL:

mlb3c said:
what is "offal"?

It is the 'entrails' (left over bits :D) and organs of an animal - it can include brain, tongue, feet, etc, etc

There was a documentary on tv a few years ago about a well known fast-food hamburger chain, who 'apparently' have been using a lot of 'offal' in their products (it showed you some of the stuff at a factory that was getting minced and made into burgers :eek: )

Sponsored Links
Back