blanking off waste pipe once toilet removed?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I would like to remove my toilet and tile the floor before installing the new one.

However, as it may take a few days between starting tiling and having the new toilet fitted my plumber I am concerned about the smell with the waste pipe being open.

Any advice? I couldn't find any standard fitting to blank it off. What's the best way to do it?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Hi all

I would like to remove my toilet and tile the floor before installing the new one.

However, as it may take a few days between starting tiling and having the new toilet fitted my plumber I am concerned about the smell with the waste pipe being open.

Any advice? I couldn't find any standard fitting to blank it off. What's the best way to do it?

Cheers
Just pack it with old cloths etc,make sure theyre tightly packed ;) so as not to fall into the drain otherwise youll get a blockage later on

go to a hire shop and hire a 4" drain testing balloon and pump, it is a cloth type covered balloon with a rubber hose to connect to pump, that we use to blank off drains to test before 2nd fix, perfect for this and not too costly for a few days, packing out with bags etc won't stop the smell and something could fall down the drain, have used them many times for this type of job where we have the loo stripped out for a few days for other trades to work

Before I've used a plastic bag over the end of the pipe and then put a couple of elastic bands on to hold a good seal - worked for me!

Sponsored Links
[
quote="easyflow";p="811396"]
Before I've used a plastic bag over the end of the pipe and then put a couple of elastic bands on to hold a good seal - worked for me!
Yep always worked fine for me.
[/quote]

Am I right in thinking that we are talking about a through the floor soil outlet. In this case you can't wrap rubber bands round it?

Inflatable balloon is the best bet.

[
quote="easyflow";p="811396"]
Yep always worked fine for me.

Am I right in thinking that we are talking about a through the floor soil outlet. In this case you can't wrap rubber bands round it?

Inflatable balloon is the best bet.[/quote]

Not sure..the original post didn't make it clear

nothing wrong with plastic bag and band, but i have probably used the balloon because we have them for testing, and thought i would offer it as a suggestion

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back