bleeding pump

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I decided to try to bleed my pump last night (Myson SD53). I took the little plastic cap off the central nut and tentatively unscrewed it.... I've never tried bleeding the pump before and I expected great floods of water at any second. I unscrewed the nut until it pulled loose and yet only a drop of water at most came out. Is this the correct nut to be undoing to bleed the pump? The pump has a label saying "if pump sticks unscrew central knob, pull to locate in shaft and rotate". It doesn't mention bleeding.

Sponsored Links
Thats the correct way to bleed the pump, dont forget you are trying to bleed it of air.

Keep the nut of for about a minute whilst running the pump, is it making a squeaky noise??.

Check both isolating valves are open too!

Hmmm.... I don't actually have air in the pump. I just wanted to give it a go to make sure I know how to do it before draining down. I was expecting to get a bit of water out. Should I be able to completely remove the nut from the pump?

michaels said:
Hmmm.... I don't actually have air in the pump. I just wanted to give it a go to make sure I know how to do it before draining down. I was expecting to get a bit of water out. Should I be able to completely remove the nut from the pump?

nope you have, as lucas says, bled the pump

any ways you cannot remove the not completely

whats the problem anyway mate :LOL:

Sponsored Links
no problem as such corgiman. Apart from the dreaded black sludge. I had noticed that the boiler gets up to temperature and then cycles like mad. And the boiler casing gets way too hot. Since the energy isn't being carried away in the water I figured that meant a lack of flow and came to the conclusion that i need to get some fernox in there to clean it all out. I had another go at the pump last night and managed to get some nice black water out! Looks like i was right.... shame! :confused:

Being a cautious type I have been checking that all bleed valves work before i drain down. The only outstanding problem now is a scaled up old auto bleed vent on the cylinder coil. I think i'll just switch that for a manual one.

Anyway, I think I'm set to do the deed now... wish me luck!

michaels said:
no problem as such corgiman. Apart from the dreaded black sludge. I had noticed that the boiler gets up to temperature and then cycles like mad. And the boiler casing gets way too hot. Since the energy isn't being carried away in the water I figured that meant a lack of flow and came to the conclusion that i need to get some fernox in there to clean it all out. I had another go at the pump last night and managed to get some nice black water out! Looks like i was right.... shame! :confused:

Being a cautious type I have been checking that all bleed valves work before i drain down. The only outstanding problem now is a scaled up old auto bleed vent on the cylinder coil. I think i'll just switch that for a manual one.

Anyway, I think I'm set to do the deed now... wish me luck!

GOOD LUCK :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back