Bleeding radiator, central heating stops working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone. I've got a recurring problem with my central heating that I'm hoping someone can help me with.

I live in a two floor flat - ground floor has the kitchen and garage, everything else is upstairs. The boiler is in the garage , is branded "Main" and has no controls apart from a reset button. Upstairs there is a cupboard with the heating control panel (hot water and heating), water pump, a large insulated tank with what I believe to be an immersion switch attached, what looks like an expansion tank (but no pressure gauge), and a ~20 litre open top tank with a ballcock valve at the highest point in the system.

The radiator in the living room regularly runs cold. Whenever I try to bleed it, the central heating stops working for the next 12 hours or so. The boiler refuses to ignite and the pump becomes very noisy. I assumed this was because the pressure needs to be topped up but there is no fill loop and no pressure gauge anywhere on the system, so I can't.

I'm concerned A) the radiator shouldn't keep filling with air this regularly (every few months) and B) the central heating shouldn't stop working for hours every time I bleed the radiator.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
photos of the components will help.

Is there a tank about 2ft x 1ft x 1ft anywhere? With a ball cock like an old WC cistern? Does it have a layer of mud at the bottom? Is there any water in it?

How new is the system? If you have a 20Ltr open topped cistern - is there a pipe that runs up and bends over the top and into it, you may have an open vented CH system? The HW cylinder may be unvented hence the EV without a pressure gauge - is it white/blue?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back