Block connector inside consumer unit.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Block connector inside consumer unit.
Today I had to move my alarm box and noticed that some of the wires had block connector on them to extend them to reach the MCB's. Is this OK?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Personally I consider it rough but acceptable.
In circumstances like that I use thru crimps as a last resort.

Sponsored Links
Its acceptable and safe though? Would it be up to modern inspection and testing standards?
Would it better to have them changed and crimped?

So many questions!

Thanks for help

I consider it as acceptable and safe, but just few sparks would actually use that method for extending cables.

I wouldnt bother having it changed, unless your having other work done at the same time maybe?

Its not ideal.
But its a valid connection method, accessible and inside a closed enclosure.

What's the problem?

Its messy and clumsy.

Example of the type of electrician who puts choc blocks inside CUs:

DSC00850.jpg

Its acceptable and safe though? Would it be up to modern inspection and testing standards?

Sure, probably better than most of the other srewed terminations that you'll come across in your travels.

I will admit, it is always better not to have a joint of any sort but, most of us live in the real World.

Edit: PS. Disconnect supply before removing cover?

Thats MY CU (fitted by an NIC bloke, believe it or not). Keep meaning to tidy it up.

Shouldn't connector blocks be fixed to the enclosure rather then floating, or is that good practice?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back