Block perps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Got another very basic brickie question.
I've been laying some blocks for my extension and while I think it looks OK I am extremely slow, which is not an issue for me but just wanted to run a couple of things I'm doing by anyone who can comment
- perp joints I always butter the block already laid rather than the one in my hand, I just find it easier and do it for lightweight aerated as well as solid concrete
- I find most of the Perp mortar squeezes out when i lay it but I have to fill/point a bit after. Not sure if this is really acceptable (the beds are fine it's just the perps).
Cheers
John

Sponsored Links
The vast majority of issues like this when laying blocks or bricks are caused by poor mortar consistancy. Once you get the mix right many of these problems will cease to become an issue.

You want good full joints but many beginners use too much mortar and then blatter the block into line.

When I started laying I found watching youtube videos was very instructive. Helps you get a sense of the rhythm, the quantities, the timings.

Are you using a plasticiser? That makes things easier for me.

yeah I'm using a very small splash of plasticiser per half bag of cement.
To be fair yesterday was pretty warm and windy so I was drying quick (cos I'm so slow) but I was just concerned that I shouldn't be needing to fill perps after. I don't think the job looks bad, see pic. A few years of practice doing it and I'll probably be OK :D
IMAG1290.jpg

Sponsored Links
Whilst whatever is easiest for you might be best, normally whether you butter the block that is laid or the one in your hand depends on what read of the week you are coming from and if you are left or right handed. But it won't matter with regards to filling the joint.

Btw, try and get all the cuts at one end of the wall. That one course has four cut blocks, when it could be one, or two.

Yeah I've messed up the bond completely, something I struggle with a lot. I built the corners up at each end with whole blocks then cut one on the first course then was forced into cutting a load more as I went up to keep some kind of bond. Schoolboy.
I will try and fix it above the window which starts at the next course...

Start with a whole block on the quoin and drive the bond to the end. Cut 4 closers from one block and use them on the quoins to give you half bond.
That way there is less waste. Years ago a brick was used to make the bond.

Thanks Stuart makes sense and really appreciate the advice.
Sorry one more question, any tips on cutting these as I use a bolster but it doesn't give a clean break, so I chip away at it to straighten it up with a hammer, maybe I should be bolstering both sides before snapping it or using my little 4" grinder (won't make me popular with the neighbours :D )

If you hang the block over the stack by how much you want to cut, and then cut the block with the bolster in line with the edge of the stack, then it will break cleanly.

After a bit of practice, you can just use the lump hammer with this method. :sneaky:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back