Blockage in hot water pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It has been suggested that a possible cause to my not being able to run any hot water from my bath mixer tap (cold is fine) is an air block. Could anyone advice me of ways to get rid of this air block.

The plumbing is about forty years old. The water tank is an enormous unit divided into two, presumably one side for cold and the other smaller side for hot. I have already tried running the hot water off. The kitchen tap is now empty and there is the minimum of water running from the bathroom sink tap. However it makes absolutely no difference whatsoever to the water level in the tank (hot side). The water is in fact very still. It is also very murky.

It would have to be a DIY job I'm afraid. So, any ideas are very welcome.

Gemma

Sponsored Links
The easiest way to do this is to use your washing machine hoses:-

• Turn off both hot and cold washine machine valve taps.
    Undo the cold hose at the machine end and the hot hose at the valve end. Have a bucket ready to catch the small amount of water that will inevitably come out.
    Connect the cold hose to the hot valve.
    Open the hot valve followed by the cold valve. This will force mains pressure water up the hot supply pipe work.
    Open each hot tap in turn and make sure they are all running OK.
    Turn off the hot valve followed by the cold.
    You should now have blown out any airlocks and hopefully any small blockages.
    The cold water cistern safety overflow make operate whilst you are doing all of this, shouldn't be anything to worry about though.

Good luck.

lets hope it does .......
i've seen some right bodge jobs....
no overflow
over flow over the bath
feed and exp tank overflow into the cws cistern !!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back