Blocked 7 metres long kitchen sink drain

Just remeasured , it's 50 mm dia, is that ok?
I think I may have found a simple solution to my particular problem.
I intend to drill a 20 mm hole on the top of the waste pipe half way along which will allow me to rod in both directions. If this is successful I will then seal the hole with a rubber plug which are easily obtainable.
If it ever happens again I just need to remove the plug.
There must be a downside, can anybody see one. This will only in my opinion work in horizontal drains not vertical ones for obvious reasons
The obvious downside is the rubber plug will leak and create an obstruction which causes more blockages.

Sponsored Links
I intend to drill a 20 mm hole on the top of the waste pipe half way along which will allow me to rod in both directions. If this is successful I will then seal the hole with a rubber plug which are easily obtainable.
Or just cut through it and re-join with a multifit coupling. 50mm isn't perfect but much better that 32mm.

The obvious downside is the rubber plug will leak and create an obstruction which causes more blockages.
The pipe in question is only taking water from a small cloakroom handbasin, so the waste pipe, unblocked will never get completely full to the top.

Or just cut through it and re-join with a multifit coupling. 50mm isn't perfect but much better that 32mm.

I did consider that ,but how do I get a section of pipe in that is longer than what I have removed, when there is no give in the existing pipe because of internal and external angles.

Sponsored Links
The pipe in question is only taking water from a small cloakroom handbasin, so the waste pipe, unblocked will never get completely full to the top.
Then how did your unobstructed pipe get blocked in the first place .
Most likely blockage location is where it joins kitchen waste.
Have you put lots of boiling water down kitchen , it’s probably a plug of grease from kitchen waste .

Then how did your unobstructed pipe get blocked in the first place .
Most likely blockage location is where it joins kitchen waste.
Have you put lots of boiling water down kitchen , it’s probably a plug of grease from kitchen waste .
I totally agree with you and I have have put loads of boiling water down the waste. On reflection I have been putting the boiling water down the cloakroom waste, when maybe it should be down the kitchen waste. I will try again and let you know the outcome.

I totally agree with you and I have have put loads of boiling water down the waste. On reflection I have been putting the boiling water down the cloakroom waste, when maybe it should be down the kitchen waste. I will try again and let you know the outcome.
After many kettles of boiling water down the kitchen waste there is no improvement in the cloakroom drain. Clearly the build up in the blockage is on the side of the junction where it meets the cloakroom waste. The other side which goes to the open drain is cleared naturally by the more used and greater water pressure from the kitchen sink. If that makes sense.

Use a wet vac and suck it out.

Andy
Tried it, didn't work.I seem to recall same thing happened a few years ago and wet vac sucked it out then. Not this time though, probably a touch of flu

So you'd rather hack around with plastic and buy more stuff - your choice but a very odd decision
All I intend to do is drill small hole in an existing plastic pipe and put a rubber plug in the hole. What's odd about that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back