BLOCKED DRAIN WASHER DRAINING INTO TOILET *PLEASE HELP*

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our washing machine is draining into the toilet and pouring out of there, I have uploaded a pic and would appreciate any help because I am confused as to where the blockage actually is.
Into this drain we have a downstairs toilet with a small sink.
The toilet and sink drain off perfectly.
The washing machine is in utility room which is next to where the toilet and sink are. We have never had any problems but yesterday the washing machine contents decided to come up through the toilet. I am totally baffled how it is doing this.
Any advice welcome.

Sponsored Links
if it went back up the toilet i would say it's blocked below where the three enter the main stack.

if the toilet flushes ok now surely the wm must be ok now.

No, thats what is puzzling. I take it WM means Washing Machine?
It started in the morning, the washer was on and after flushing the toilet the water just carried on rising, i presumed it the toilet was blocked and turned the washer off straight away. The day went on and the toilet flushed fine and the small sink emptied fine, later on in the afternoon the washer was on again but this time instead of being there to stop it, i was outside, not very nice when i came in, the utility, toilet and kitchen smelt of PERSIL. As the washer drains off it starts coming up the toilet, but the toilet was still flushing fine.
Totally baffled here!!

strange can't see how the toilet drains but the wm backfills the toilet.

i'd be inclinded to remove the section of pipe above before the elbow
and look inside and fit a access point aswell for the future.

Sponsored Links
I still think there's a blocked as youv'e been told, toilet flushes fine, but hit's the blockage, but you can't see it, goes down nice n slow, but now, the wm is draining at the same time, hit's the shi,t starts to fill up the pipe and the blockage can 't handle the flow, (i think .

libby lou lou I had feeling thats what it may be, i mean the washing machine drains off alot more water than a toilet flush, so if the toilet drains, because its a lesser amount it dosnt appear to come back and then would just drain slowly. The washer on the other hand drains off really fast with a large volume of water, it cant go down quick enough so comes back up in the toilet.
So it looks like the large pipe to the drain is blocked somewhere. I am borrowing some rods so give a go tomorrow and let you know how I get on.
WHERE'S THIS THANK YOU BUTTON ????

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back