Blocked stack OR Waste?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am issues with my drainpipes. I live in a GF maisonette so the shared stack pipe runs into my property. Anyway, the FH have been barstewards about coming to have a look at the issue. They eventually came out last night and the guy said that my waste pipe needed removing to clear the stack. This morning the FH (council) tell me that it is MY problem as the waste needs replacing and that it is my waste that is blocked. I am really angry about this as I am certain it is the stack pipe as my neighbours water waste is coming out of the gap between waste and stack, too. So if my waste was blocked the water from upstairs would flow stright down into drain but it doesn't. The picture may explain better.

w3384.jpg

So, please could someone tell me what is blocked please. None of the water travels straight down anymore and sometimes the pressure is so great it gushed out onto my garden
:evil:
TIA for any help (as you can prob tell I am a confused female)

Sponsored Links
Simplest thing to do would be to divert your wastepipe straight down the drain - this will verify whether it's your pipe or the stack.

It doesnt look to be blocked underground somewhere, highly unusual for a vertical pipe to block. Is the upstairs flat private or council? Looks like the iron pipe may discharge into the back of the gulley, if so shouldnt be major issue to clean out.

Sponsored Links
Well the same bloke came back out to clarify what needed to be done and has told his boss that the stack is blocked but we must remove/replace our waste pipe in order for them to clear the stack. We now need to find a replacement pipe as our waste one has been removed by DH and was rather smelly & fatty. However, it was not blocked and the same problem still exists. Any advice on the pipe to get? They're coming out on Wednesday to clear the stack.

Thanks for all the replies so far.

Oh yeah, forgot to add that last year the soil waste drains were blocked under the main road outside and our drains were leaking out excrement and bog roll!!!! It took them 3 days to come out and clear that issue and only after I told them I had a young son. Could this be the root of the problem or is it just fat and grease from washing thats collected? (DH insists upstairs has been having some self lipo up there!)

If its full of fat and your neighbour is on a crash course for a coronary, afraid there's not a lot you can do. Id be inclined to get your new waste directed into the gulley, block off connection into cast pipe and let upstairs get on with it. Problem then would be (I assume there's a hopper at top of that stack) if stack blocks again you'll have a waterfall when upstairs lets sink or bath full of water go.

You need 40mm or 1&1/2" waste pipe, to replace the existing. Not sure what it drains in your flat but shouldnt be too difficult to replace.

Unlikely last years episode has anything to do with this, most likely stack is blocked with congealed fat and grease from upstairs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back