Blocked Stack

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just purchased a house where we have removed the kitchen. We also removed the old sink waste pipe but now when the upstairs loo is flushed there is a surge of water from the kitchen stack connection.
Is this normal or is there a stack blockage? The stack is cast iron so no obvious rodding point.

Sponsored Links
Which do you consider to have the lesser resistance - several metres of soil pipe above- and underground, with bends and turns, or a 4" hole opening directly into a kitchen?

Softus said:
Which do you consider to have the lesser resistance - several metres of soil pipe above- and underground, with bends and turns, or a 4" hole opening directly into a kitchen?

True, however, I would also consider that several metres of soil pipe to have the capacity to take 5 litres of water before a bend.

Sponsored Links
dave-air said:
I would also consider that several metres of soil pipe to have the capacity to take 5 litres of water before a bend.
If that several metres of pipe is filled by a vacuum, i.e. is 'empty', then I might agree with you, but it isn't empty - it's full of air. We're talking about the rate at which air can be either pushed along the pipe and vented elsewhere, ahead of the water, or change places with the water and be vented at the same property. These things aren't as simple as you seem to think.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back