"Blocked" System

Will do, have got half a dozen names/numbers of people that friends of mine have used, which is usually better than a pin in the phone book! So today's tasks: replace the immersion so that Mrs WhereInSussex has some hot water (something I can actually do) and have a ring around.

Sponsored Links
are you the infamous mr puller from the old screw fix forums?

Have to say Dick Puller is from this part of the country, I do think is a proper gent but some think not. But I only share the initials with the gentleman ;)

Strange how this Dick Puller can operate a plumbing business in a large city like Glasgow yet no one ever claims to have met him!

One of the Mods did claim to have spoken to him though!

A system with a blockage is one of the least likely problems to be solved on the internet. Like most it needs a competent person on the spot!

Tony Glazier

OK, plumber came today and spent a good hour looking over the system.

Conclusions:

Either the pump has stopped/reduced pumping due to loss of blades or a blockage, but he doesn't feel this is the case

OR

There is a severe blockage in the heat exchanger of the boiler (27 years old) which he feels is more likely.

The boiler I was going to have replaced later this year and the pump at the same time, along with the ancient controller.

He said he could replace the pump, but his gut feeling was that it wasn't the pump. He's arranged for a boiler expert to look at the boiler to confirm his feelings on it, but right now I'm thinking I'm going to get some quotes and just get the thing replaced, as planned, just six months early.

He didn't charge for his time "because I didn't do anything".

Sponsored Links
You were lucky there Steve!

I know a good guy in Hove but how far is that from Bexhill?

But has no one removed the pump head to look inside yet and check the torque?

Tony Glazier

Thanks for all the suggestions, will be phoning a plumber (or two) later.

The magnet stuck to one area, I think it was around a junction just below the pump (but may be wrong).

Where the cold feed enters the central heating system is where you find most of the blockages of this kind, so if the junction below the pump is the one that takes in the cold feed the above statement does fit.

All central heating systems are unique and their condition depends on type, age and usage among other things but the symptoms of clogged or scaled systems are the same: a noisy boiler, cold radiators and high fuel bills.
Over a period of time this sludge can block pipes and prevent the radiators from distributing heat around your house. Sludge can also seriously affect the efficiency of your central heating system; it will lead to higher fuel bills and can bring forward the time when you need to replace some or all of the system. The solution? remove sludge and scale by power flushing your central heating system.

Use a professional power flush company that guarntee results

All central heating systems are unique and their condition depends on type, age and usage among other things but the symptoms of clogged or scaled systems are the same: a noisy boiler, cold radiators and high fuel bills.
Over a period of time this sludge can block pipes and prevent the radiators from distributing heat around your house. Sludge can also seriously affect the efficiency of your central heating system; it will lead to higher fuel bills and can bring forward the time when you need to replace some or all of the system. The solution? remove sludge and scale by power flushing your central heating system.

Use a professional power flush company that guarntee results

Hmmm. I wonder who you work for?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back