Blocking off eaves from birds/squirrels HELP

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I'm not much of a DIYer but need to do something to block the eaves of my roof to prevent 'wildlife' getting in. I have seen on the screwfix site some mesh in both plastic and steel that is sold for this purpose, 40m length for under a tenner for the plastic, and four times that for steel.

The thing is it doesn't say how it is fixed, can it be done fron inside the loft space? Do I glue it on? Surely not. :(

They also sell something that is 1m in length and has comb teeth on but that is far more expensive and again it doesnt say how to fix it.
Any ideas please?

Oh, my house is a semi, 1930's slate (unlined) roof.

Thank you for your advice.

Sponsored Links
Hi, yes the screwfix nos are as follows:

53657-85 plastic soffit mesh.
76498-85 stainless steel soffit mesh.
40157-85 eaves comb filler.

I'm getting a quote for some pointing to my chimney stack and to replace a couple of slates, and thought that maybe I could ask the roofer to install the mesh if it was too difficult for me to do. Can't decide what to do for the best.

Thanks for your help.

Do you know where they are getting in :?:

Even a rat can climb inside cavity wall :!:

Sponsored Links
eaves comb fillers are used in conjunction with profiled tiles and are fixed to the top edge of the fascia boards prior to fixing the first row of tiles.

Hi, they're getting in by climbing the exterior rendered walls (we've seen them) and under the eaves into the loft space. i thought either the plastic (perhaps not tough enough) or steel mesh would prevent them getting in. Any idea how they could be fixed and whether theis could be done from inside the loftspace or just from outside?
Thanks.

squirrelrun,

Do you know if you have a cavity wall? If so, check all air-bricks, I have seen rat chewing their way in even metal vent is not unheard of!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back