Blocking up window over garage door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an attached garage which has a large double glazed window above the door. I'd like to remove the window and block up the space, without going to the expense and hassle of using brick. What can I do? The space is roughly 3' x 7' and I'd like it to look good from the outside so thinking maybe the thin stone cladding people put on chimney breasts?

What's the 'standard' approach to boarding it up? Plywood? OSB? Insulation?

Sponsored Links
Would you not want it to match up the existing external wall finish?
If traditional bricks are not to be used then concrete blocks is an option, you can clad or render these.

But once window above door is removed, you may have to install a supporting lintel above the door frame, if there is not one existing.

Internally you will be dictated by the wall depth, is it single or double skin?

You could consider rather than a second internal skin of blocks, using timber stud, insulating the cavity, vapour barrier and plasterboard.

It's a double skin garage, but the external brick is completley absent where the garage door and window is. Above the window there's a huge lintel on the inside block wall which supports the joists (and roof) above.

If I wanted to use PVC cladding above the door, like this:

45863_INC19277C_IMG_10_0000.jpg

Can I just have an OSB timber frame affair underneath it? I was thinking of making up a timber frame clad with:

PVC Cladding outside // OSB // 50mm Kingspan Insulation // OSB

Am I required to meet any U values for an attached garage?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back