Blow Off Risk

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've just had British Gas out to do an inspection for Homecare. They have refused to cover the boiler (a Potterton) because of "blow off at risk".

Having spoken to them they have advised that the pipe that water vents from which sticks out of the wall of the house comes straight out as opposed to bending. This means if there is a build up of pressure the water could squirt across the roof of the house and land on some unsuspecting person in the drive.

They can repair this and then re-asses the cover, but they want to send out someone to quote for the work and then book an engineer to do the work. This doesn't sound like a big job, so my question is could I do this myself, would a push fit peice of pipe satisfy the safety requirements or would the pipe need to be replaced from where it joins the boiler?

Sponsored Links
The pipe needs to bend back on itself using two elbow and face the wall. It is a few inches of pipe and a two elbow. Pushfit is not acceptable, neither compression. Must be soldered.

Jeez, less than a pound for parts & a total of 5 minutes work.

If your any good at soldering (and it does not have to be good) it can be done easily.

In fact, would they even notice if it was just pushed on rather than soldered ;)

Sponsored Links
Big burner the advice you give about using yorkshire fittings is best practice but it is not mandatory, you can use compression if you want to, we fitted combis where the old elson unit was in the middle of the house and used the 22mm stainless steel drain off as blow off (as we couldn't run a new pipe under tiled kitchen floors) we fited 22mm comp bend and pipe returned to wall

Blow off is a bit of a problem, I'm always doing it & getting into trouble :D :D

Blow off is a bit of a problem, I'm always doing it & getting into trouble :D :D

Right with your permission I am going to shut you orf and declare you AT RISK mattylad

:)

you need a new farting clapper gland matey

:)

I'm certainly at risk.

Risk of receiving the wrath of er indoors when I blow off :D

Perhapps as a suggestion, al101uk could contact Homecare and ask them to specify exactly what they require for this pipe repair?
I.E. if they will be happy enough with the addition of extra piping using compression connectors?

Then if they are, nip to the nearest plumbing supplier or DIY store and get the bits n cobble them together.

Hi,

All done, paid someone and they did weld on an extra bit of pipe. Apparently a ten minute job, but paid a local plumber who did it for less than half what BG wanted.

Amazing how many people I have spoken to since who tell me their boiler vents in exactly the same way! Shouldn't they be fitted properly in the first place?

Alec

yes alec they should be fitted properly but there are thousands that are not, if boiler is upstairs pipe will be fitted from inside and they won't bother getting a ladder out and finishing the job properly, seen a boiler (can't remember which so not much help!! but someone will advise) but blow off comes with a fitting that can be fitted from inside and returns to wall and has rubber grommet to seal hole as well looks like a 22mm yorky blank with a bit of 15mm copper soldered into it off centre and short of touching the end of the cap if you follow description, which mens if boiler blows off water will be clear to hit end of 22mm cap and return to wall.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back