Blown capacitors on PCB for Hotpoint WMA37

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I can see that the three disk shaped capacitors (blue) on the PCB for my Hotpoint WMA37 washing machine are blown. Does anyone have any idea where I can get replacements as I can easily solder these in myself and save having to buy a complete new PCB which is about 100 quid! The numbers on the outside of the capacitors don't mean much to me. It is an AKO 48 902 board. What capacitance are they...what part nos...where can I order them? Any help gratefully received. Chis

Sponsored Links
If the capacitors have blown I would assume there was another fault with the machine to cause the board to overload. Even replacing the capacitors may not solve it as there are various other components that are susceptible to powersurges.

Usual culprits for blowing board are motor/motor brushes worn, door interlock failed.

If you post a pic of the damage I can look at spare boards for similar (WMA40/50) machines I have at work and see if I can advise better.

you can send the board to these people to test or get a reconditioned one from them

http://www.emwelec.co.uk/

For components try Maplins, RS or a local electronic repair place (TV etc)

Hi....Leccy758
Thanks for your quick repsonse. I forgot to explain...I live in Kenya and these blown capacitors were definitely caused by a power surge through the mains. But yes, agreed there may well be other parts damaged but I am prepared to take the chance. I wish I could post a photo but dont currently have a camera. But all I can say is that these boards fit a lot of different machines and I am sure that the WMA40/50 series PCBs are identical to the WMA37. The capacitors in question are easy to see. They are the 2 disk shaped ones in the centre, and the third is located bottom left of the board (all are identical). So it would be great if you could look at these and see if you can identify for me the equivalent part from Maplins. My daughter flies out to Kenya on Friday, so I just might be able to get thenew parts to her in time...
Many thanks in advnace

the boards are very similar but not all are interchangable as the switches on some are in different positions or they have different numbers of switches.
The EEPROMs are different as well so they sometimes have the programs in different positions on the selector.

If I get time tomorrow I will have a look at one as the power regulation set up is the same

Sponsored Links
Looking at the WMA boards whey are not capacitors they are varistors (the silk screen printing has the marking R63 'Resistor' C12 'Capacitor' etc next to the components, all the boards have the same markings but some components are not fitted.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Varistor

The electronics repair engineer at work who does the PCB repairs had a look at the board and said if they were removed from the circuit you should be able to power it up to at least check for any further damage. You should not leave it running though as they are there to protect the board from over voltages/spikes.

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/search/...am=4294611868&selectAttribute=275V#breadCrumb

Try putting the numbers on the varistor 'I forgot to bring them home' into the RS website 'its the longer number across the middle I believe'

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back