Bmw 1 series 116ise

ih

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My 19 year old is upgrading from corsa 1.00 (which he calls moped) to 2006 bmw with 2owners 45k miles
All paper work genuine bmw fsh.internet search @babybmw.net advise for pre purchase inspection of
Timing chain & clutch.
1.can these be checked @ garage
2.Any test he can do to check
3.your thoughts on extended warranty
Thanking in advance

Sponsored Links
Its a bit difficult to definitely pass judgement but here goes.....
Timing chain - listen for any noise greater than a gentle mechanical rustle.....the engine must be hot for this.
Clutch - when the clutch is getting towards the end of its life, the pedal travel varies to a degree. Basically the pedal gets stiffer to press on the final third of its travel towards the floor.
I've no idea if these cars are more prone to these faults than any other make but if you decide to go for an extra warranty, do check out the small print - the clutch for one won't be covered.
John :)

• Thanks
Reactions: ih
Wouldn't the timing chain rattle most on cold start up before the oil pressure has got to the tensioner? Is this the same engine as the one found in Minis , if so they're prone to coking up

• Thanks
Reactions: ih
The 116 will be very underpowered as i think it is actually a 1.6, it changed to a 2.0 a few years later. Got to love bmw and their engine sizes!
I dont think the mini engine was used in any of the other bmw models, which is a good thing as its hideous!

Sponsored Links
It's probably an N13 engine.....pretty sure that's the BMW Peugeot hybrid turd. Avoid it at all costs as major and expensive woes are nearly always nearby. The Timing chain tensioners/guides eat themselves for fun. I found loads of plastic bits in my mates 118i sump....too many to be comfy with and he sold it the next week.....there were no running issues or noise......just a massive bill waiting to happen.

All BMW 4 pot N/A engines after the M44 are dodgy IMO....even the M44 was a bit iffy in some areas but not catastrophic ones.

Back