BMW and Audi Accidents

• Thread starter Deleted member 18243
  • Start date
I get your point. But I meant when you are overtaking the vehicles in the inside lane and there are no gaps big enough to pull back into.

Stay in lane until you run out of fuel?

Seriously, in the UK anyway, we overtake on the outside. So.........

..... if you are willing to take it up to ninety (passing others as you do so), pull into an outer lane to do this: don't just roll on and off the accelerator in an inside lane, leaving law-abiding drivers high and dry.

Sponsored Links
@johnny2007 Don’t want to be doing that in front of plod. (Flashing then undertaking) Text book Dangerous driving.

However, if you happen to be already in the inside lane and pass them then it isn’t.

For general overtaking return to the near side lane after overtaking, if you will be there for at least 10 seconds. Otherwise stay out.

This was the rule of thumb for advanced. Otherwise it show bad planning and anticipation.

Last edited:
Seriously, in the UK anyway, we overtake on the outside. So.........

..... if you are willing to take it up to ninety (passing others as you do so), pull into an outer lane to do this: don't just roll on and off the accelerator in an inside lane, leaving law-abiding drivers high and dry.

I think we mean the same thing and it's just a matter of degree. I've never been anywhere near 90 in the middle lane and make plenty of use of the outside lane. But I often use the middle lane to overtake slower cars which are in the inside lane. What I don't do is weave in and out of the inside lane like lots of people seem to think they have to. They get back into the inside lane and then immediately indicate to come back out. I think that is dangerous.

Three-lane motorway - stay in the left-hand lane unless you need to overtake slower moving traffic. To do this, you should use the middle lane. If you need to overtake several vehicles, stay in the middle lane. There is no need to weave in and out of the left-hand lane as you overtake individual vehicles.

Sponsored Links
For general overtaking return to the near side lane after overtaking, if you will be there for at least 10 seconds. Otherwise stay out.

This was the rule of thumb for advanced. Otherwise it show bad planning and anticipation.

I've been watching a couple of videos and doing a quick calculation. At 70mph that would mean, before pulling back into the inside lane after overtaking, there should be a minimum vehicle free gap of roughly the distance between the two red circles, if you want to maintain the two chevrons. That looks about right to me.

1676616537583.jpeg

@johnny2007 Don’t want to be doing that in front of plod. (Flashing then undertaking) Text book Dangerous driving.

However, if you happen to be already in the inside lane and pass them then it isn’t.

It was an unmarked car.
Then nowadays coppers are a bunch of pu$$ies.
I realised that if you act as a criminal and scream and swear at them, they'll go away pretty quickly.
At least here in London where their priority is anything to do with lgbtq+.

To the OP: Just FYI: Saying that Audi drivers do this or BMW drivers do that, is simply not true, because all drivers of those vehicles do NOT behave in whatever manner it is that you object to.

This is something called "confirmation bias" in safety and risk assessments: in your case you only notice drivers of particular vehicles doing something wrong because you are in some way overly sensitive to, or concentrate disproportionately on those vehicle types, to the exclusion of others. This could be owing to a prejudice of some sort.

If you take a moment to think about it, this attitude is similar to racism: you are assuming certain traits or behaviours based purely on what a person, or in this case, a vehicle, looks like.

In recent months while driving, I have personally witnessed - or had to brake to avoid - mistakes or bad driving by drivers of Nissans and Mazdas as it happens: Both mistakes that were nothing to do with those particular makes of car. In addition I was tailgated much too close yesterday; once by a van, another time by a pick-up truck, but I don't know what make they were, as I could only see their headlights.
Oh, and the driver of a small Ford something managed to drive forwards straight through the wall at the local supermarket, instead of reversing out of the space..........

Last edited:
To the OP: Just FYI: Saying that Audi drivers do this or BMW drivers do that, is simply not true, because all drivers of those vehicles do NOT behave in whatever manner it is that you object to.

This is something called "confirmation bias" in safety and risk assessments: in your case you only notice drivers of particular vehicles doing something wrong because you are in some way overly sensitive to, or concentrate disproportionately on those vehicle types, to the exclusion of others. This could be owing to a prejudice of some sort.

If you take a moment to think about it, this attitude is similar to racism: you are assuming certain traits or behaviours based purely on what a person, or in this case, a vehicle, looks like.

In recent months while driving, I have personally witnessed - or had to brake to avoid - mistakes or bad driving by drivers of Nissans and Mazdas as it happens: Both mistakes that were nothing to do with those particular makes of car. In addition I was tailgated much too close yesterday; once by a van, another time by a pick-up truck, but I don't know what make they were, as I could only see their headlights.
Oh, and the driver of a small Ford something managed to drive forwards straight through the wall at the local supermarket, instead of reversing out of the space..........
it's nothing to do with the car, it's the driver.

the real argument should be directed at why aren't bad drivers stopped

What really frustrated me, mainly on multi-lane roads is the drivers who when you start to overtake speed up just as you get level with them and match your speed until you are forced to slow down (if possible) and pull back in behind them or (usually with a BMW or Audi) a queue of other cars behind you so forcing you to speed up excessively (85mph+) to pass.

What really frustrated me, mainly on multi-lane roads is the drivers who when you start to overtake speed up just as you get level with them and match your speed until you are forced to slow down (if possible) and pull back in behind them or (usually with a BMW or Audi) a queue of other cars behind you so forcing you to speed up excessively (85mph+) to pass.

I hate that too. It also once happened to me on a country road with a 60 mph limit. There was a Rover 600 dawdling along at about 30 mph. I was doing about 50 and because of the way things worked out I could go around him without even needing to slow. It took me ages to work out what was happening. But basically when he saw me pull out to overtake he'd floored it. He very nearly ran me off the road. It seemed like he was driving around waiting for unsuspecting motorists.

I had the same thing happen to me a few years ago in the Peak District. Deserted road, late at night. I sped up a bit as he was that close to me, headlamps full on and he wouldn’t overtake. About a week after I got home I got a speeding ticket. Doing 39 in a 30 or something like that. I often wondered whether it was a cop in the car goading me on.
This happened to me in Wales. A silver Vauxhall Vectra had been following closely for a while.

I put my left indicator on and moved over to the left. He moved over to the left and stayed very close.

Whatever I did, he mirrored it. There wasn't anywhere to stop, otherwise I would have done. Having driven many miles in goods vehicles over the years, I would regularly pull in where I could to let any following traffic past. But this guy was relentless, so I increased my speed a little. After a couple of miles, he pulled me over.

I got the usual "Do you know why I've stopped you, Sir?"

Immediately I was on the defensive. I was absolutely livid.
I asked him if he had a calibrated speedo and why he thought his professional police driving training made him think he could bully other road users. I was at the time considering taking an advanced driving test and had been reading "Roadcraft" and mentioned this to him. I told him everything he had done went against the grain of that book, and how interested a judge would be to hear about his driving standards and whether he (the judge) would agree that the copper was guilty of entrapment.

I made a full complaint to David Owen, who was Chief Con of North Wales police. I got a reply that bleated on about the copper refuting everything I'd said and why was it such a big issue as they were not prosecuting etc...

I'm sure this sort of thing happens more than we know.

This happened to me in Wales. A silver Vauxhall Vectra had been following closely for a while.

I put my left indicator on and moved over to the left. He moved over to the left and stayed very close.

Whatever I did, he mirrored it. There wasn't anywhere to stop, otherwise I would have done. Having driven many miles in goods vehicles over the years, I would regularly pull in where I could to let any following traffic past. But this guy was relentless, so I increased my speed a little. After a couple of miles, he pulled me over.

I got the usual "Do you know why I've stopped you, Sir?"

Immediately I was on the defensive. I was absolutely livid.
I asked him if he had a calibrated speedo and why he thought his professional police driving training made him think he could bully other road users. I was at the time considering taking an advanced driving test and had been reading "Roadcraft" and mentioned this to him. I told him everything he had done went against the grain of that book, and how interested a judge would be to hear about his driving standards and whether he (the judge) would agree that the copper was guilty of entrapment.

I made a full complaint to David Owen, who was Chief Con of North Wales police. I got a reply that bleated on about the copper refuting everything I'd said and why was it such a big issue as they were not prosecuting etc...

I'm sure this sort of thing happens more than we know.
Yes, that's entrapment.
They do this a lot in country lanes.
I usually pull over and let them pass.
If they stop behind me I question why they are following me.
It happened to me twice that the car was an unmarked police.
Both times they disappeared as soon as I pointed out my dashcams.

This is something called "confirmation bias" in safety and risk assessments: in your case you only notice drivers of particular vehicles doing something wrong

Yes I've heard of confirmation bias and I admit that I do look out for Audis and BMWs purely because I know they'll do something entertaining, but that knowledge came to me from previously unbiased observation.

Next time you're on the motorway and a car passes you in so fast that your car shakes in its wake, or when a speeding car emerges on from a slip road and cuts across everybody to get to the fast lane, 9 out of 10 times it will be one or the other of these clownmobiles.

The owners of these cars are split into two definite camps. First there are the car enthusiasts who love the undoubted high technology and power of these machines and drive them responsibly; then there are the idiots who are by far the majority. I wouldn't want to be in the former group for fear of being tainted by the latter.

Former workmate was a special constable for a while, travelling on the M6 his wife driving, some oik was having a laugh in the next lane, slowing down then speeding up, he held his warrant card up to the window, oik disappeared

Sponsored Links
Back