Boiler choice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I currently have a vaillant turbomax 242, its 11 years old and starting to cost me, my system has been well looked after (hot flushed yearly and topped up with x100) i'm now looking at replacing it with either an ideal isar 30 he or a worcester greenstar 30 si. Its being fitted by a Corgi family member who installs these boilers frequently but has no follow up if anything goes wrong ( he's an installer not repairer) price wise there isnt much difference so would value any feedback from anyone who maintains / repairs these. Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Whats wrong with your turbomax i still repair loads of these?

Dont even think about an ideal. Why not just replace with another Vaillant. Out of the two though i would go for the WB greenstar. Better check you gas supply is adequate aswell.

look at Atag or Viessmann. With either of those you will be looking at easily surpassing the vaillants 11 year life.

Firstly and without any hesitation DO NOT have an Ideal Isar fitted. Probably the worst and most unreliable boiler on the market at present :rolleyes:

If Worcester is your only other choice then go with that although (here goes my F12 programmed key again :LOL:) I would fit the Vaillant ecotec Plus 831 ;)

Sponsored Links
WB or another vaillant, if thats the choice you have to make either would be fine.

i wouldnt bother with viessmann or atag. they may be great boilers but the after sales is sketchy at best.

(here goes my F12 programmed key again ) I would fit the Vaillant ecotec Plus 831
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Worcester boilers are by far the best from my personal point of view.

mspandh said:

Craig where are you? We've got another worcester buddy for you :LOL:

Cheers for the replies lads, i could get my turbomax repaired but (pumps on its way out diverter valves goosed again) and i can get a good discount on the two boilers mentioned (uncles firm fits loads) he said they've never had many problems straight after installation (does'nt know what happens 12 months after though).Once again many thanks, i think i'll go with the greenstar.

And you'd better stop "hot flushing" the system yearly - there's every chance your causing scale buildup in the heat exchanger and its entirely unecessary.

Worcester.

Did a divertor on a 35cdi today (not nice as it took 4 hours)

Tough but they are built well and need someone who is willing to take them on and be prepared to dismantle the boiler to repair even the most simple of faults. (apart from the AAV)

David

Glad you do them! I'd run a mile and tell customer to get Worcester in :LOL:

'I would go with the wb only boiler I fit run away from the isar

Soggy_weetabix said:
Worcester.

Did a divertor on a 35cdi today (not nice as it took 4 hours)

Tough but they are built well and need someone who is willing to take them on and be prepared to dismantle the boiler to repair even the most simple of faults. (apart from the AAV)

David

Yes I fitted a 37cdi last week (it's now taken over from the 35cdi).

Took a look under the hood, thought, "man I'm glad I'm not their service engineer."

Anyway it's yet another boiler with a useless awful horrible nasty jig, and it's far too heavy. I won't be in a hurry to fit another, I only do Worcesters at customer request. (Because basically I'm not a boiler evangelist if customer has got it into his head that Worcester is the business I am not going to try and convert them.

They couldn't have run any faster or further in the opposite direction to their sister company.

gas4you said:
mspandh said:

Craig where are you? We've got another worcester buddy for you :LOL:

Iam here mate the golf has been my priority now ;)

mspandh, Wise words my friend ;)

Paul B, Not over impressed with the 2kw jump on the cdi yet time will tell.

In total agreeance with the jigs, fell out with WB over this and the sharp burr's left from manufacture (pressed steel). Dont be worried about working on these WB boilers they are easy once you have done a few, you know what they say about practice!!!!!!! Brings your handicap down :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back