Boiler clicking affecting electric help?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi i have a gloworm boiler i have no idea of the model as it was in the house when we moved in. At any time, when the heating is on very ramdomly it makes a clicking noise & somehow affects my electric, my lights flicker, my telly & computer goes off, it's like a mini power cut, if as soon as i hear the noise i jump up & turn the radiator temperature down on the dial on the wall it does not happen but if i leave it alone it keeps happening but not constanlty, sorry this all sounds very vague but this is my first house & i havent got a clue who to ring or ask for help or even if it is dangerous has anyone ever heard of this happening??
:oops:

Sponsored Links
Hi
Is it a combi boiler or a traditional open vent system(ie is there a cylinder and pump in your airing cupboard)?
Regards
Linkyplumb

Hi it's a combi boiler it is on the wall in our kitchen the switch to it is in the airing cupboard upstairs next to our water tank x

Stase9800, it seems to me that theres a problem with the neutral on the room thermostat; It might be a good idea to call our a heating engineer, or sparky.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your reply, it's been driving me mad, do you know if it is dangerous? only to be honest i cant really afford to pay out a big bill at the moment & if it is not dangerous i would prefer to leave it for a while if i can. Our electric box is so old that we dont have an emergancy cut off switch for the electric so we are saving to buy a new box I'm just really on edge that this could set the house on fire or something I have read posts from others about clicking boilers but none combined with it affecting the electric aswell

I wouldn't say it's dangerous as such, but can cause you more problems if not sorted- as in, it might take out a PCB on the boiler, or another electrical appliance- I'm not saying it definitely will, it might- I've had it at a customer's before. It might be a good idea to get it seen as soon as.

Hope this helps!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back