Boiler cut out - Kettling & air?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our ideal classic ff380 was installed incorrectly 8 years ago when the house was built. We moved in recently discovered this and since had the pipes swapped over. Perfect now, loads of nice warm heat, quickly.

However, even before the pipe swap we had an interesting clicking from the boiler, a rapid clicking like something was tripping. Sometimes i would last a second or 2, rapidly clicking away and the boiler stayed lit, sometimes it would just click off and come back on a minute or so later.

This happens before the water temp is reached. Possibly a red herring but the problem seems much worse after you bleed air from the system. After a few days it settles and doesnt seem to do it.

The boiler is also kettling now and when we refilled the system, there was a lot of air, air locks which took a lot of tinkering to fix.

That is when i discovered the correctly located AAV wasn't really giving off any air. You could coax it to release some by giving it a little tap but the air release sounds like it was being squeezed through a blocked passage.

Could this rapid clicking be the stat tripping in the boiler if it's trying to heat small air pockets? I seem to get quite a bit of air built up in the top rad ever week or 2 but i have to run the pump on 3 or else the boiler seems to shut down much more. On 3 it can be running without interruption for the entire 30-40min period it takes to heat up.

So i'm curious, could this air be causing the clicking, cut out and knocking? Possibly running the boiler incorrectly for such a long time could have scaled up the heat exchanger? The most obvious fix to me would be get a new AAV some inhibitor and descaler in the system. Just trying to understand what the problem might be first.

Sponsored Links
If you have a feed & expansion tank it may not have water in it the float valve has stuck and the system has not got enough water in it chech this first good luck

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back