Boiler cutting out

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have an old Glow Worm 65-80 floorstanding boiler. A few weeks ago I noticed the pilot light had gone out after running the CH for most of the day. This happened about once a week so I didn't worry too much about it. Last weeekend I needed to add a new radiator so I drained down the system. When I refilled the system and started the boiler back up again it made a lot of noise and all the rads were cold. So I went around bleeding all the radiators and noticed the pump was noisy and once that had been bled the radiators started to heat up.

My problem now is that the boiler cuts out very often and I have to keep re-lighting the pilot. If I set the temperature on the boiler to min it will usually run for a few hours but if I set it any higher it will usually cut out sooner.

Do any of you have any ideas what it is wrong? I have checked the motorised valves and they open and close as they should. Could there still be air in the system? If so, what is the best way to shift it? Or could it be a thermocouple and it is just a coincidence that it started playing up when I drained it?

I plan to have the boiler replaced within the next few months so I'm just looking for a cheap fix which will get me through till then.

ps the wife decided she'd like another radiator adding this weekend so I'll be draining it again then anyway.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back