Boiler efficiency - advice please!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all.
Advice on the following would be much appreciated.

I own a 3 bed semi which I rent out.

When I bought it we fitted a Potterton Prima 80F boiler which was back in 1994.

My tenant is now suggesting I replace this for a Glow-worm Betacom 30kwC.

His argument for replacing the boiler is that his gas bills are extremely high.

Whilst I know I am not obliged to do this and my attitude is normally "if it aint broke, then dont fix it" - I do have a good relationship with him and am prepared to consider this if what he says is accurate.

So my question is = does he have a point? I also understand that the tank will no longer be required at all.

Any advice/comments much appreciated.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
wish the landlords i work for were as understanding.i rent myself and would not think of asking my landlord to pay to upgrade a perfectly working system. for a starters i wouldnt go with a betacom. least would be a flexicom, totaly different and more efficient burner.watch out though someone will be along with advice on a broag soon ;)

Glowworm Ultracom 30cxi is the best of the range...personally I'd say to him you'll do the work but only on the understanding that as you're making improvements his rent will be increasing to cover the cost and reflect the fact that the house will be better than it was before (you'll need a figure in mind). That should quieten him, and if it doesn't and he still insists that the work be done then go ahead and hump his rent up.

Sponsored Links
hell why not just put 2 ultracoms one for hot water and one for heating with the heating working off weather compensation and the whole house zoned :LOL: read you could do that somewere.seems your tenant might as get his moneys worth.

You could get another ten years out of that boiler,they're bullet proof.

Why don't you drop his rent on a pro-rata basis?

You will save about £3K by not doing the work so you could reduce his rent on that basis :LOL:

You will also gain if you have a change of tenant, as when you have the EPC done, your property will get a higher rating.

Whatever you do, don't fit a betacom :rolleyes:

They are around 78% efficient. Leave it. Best to put the odd thermostatic rad valve in - better control. At the same time you can flush the system out.
Gas prices have gone up.

I don't see why you should lower the rent or install a new boiler!

If he doesn't like it tell him to find another property to rent. Then you can get a new tenant and probably raise the rent.

I don't see why you should lower the rent or install a new boiler!

If he doesn't like it tell him to find another property to rent. Then you can get a new tenant and probably raise the rent.

And lose two months rent changing tenants. Also spending on the property is tax deductable. Some serious calculations then have to be done.

Best to improve the control (make him feel his complaints are being dealt with) and give him figures of the gas price hypes since he has been in the house.
Cleaning the system is also good for the landlord.

stuff im. keep the boiler for a few more years. save up and change the boiler and tenant when you need to do the inevitable refurb. your current tenant will stay anyways as you sound like a reasonable guy that he can even ask you of such a cheeky favour.

Thanks for all the advice guys.

I should have added that yes it seems like a cheeky request and to be honest when I lived there = well it was just me and my daughter - now there are more than 5 people living there so that clearly reflects in his utility bills as I have indicated to him too!

However, this guy basically also fixes any thing that goes wrong, does a lot of minor and some major repairs too! He has never defaulted on rent and looks like a long term tenant. The house is well looked after and they even repainted the interior this summer at their own cost! There were many cosmetic decorating requirements when they moved in and he undertook most of these at no cost to myself.

On this basis, this is why I am considering his request. I made some enquiries and have found that particular boiler at approx £600 all in.

He is prepared to do all the decorating at his own cost whilst I fund the new boiler.

Nevertheless, I am still on the fence and not committing to anything as yet and hence will consider all your comments and advice.

I am so glad I found this forum as whilst I am a landlady, I clearly have no knowledge on these matters being female too and you know what it's like, I hate to be blinded with technical stuff and hoodwinked by someone!

Expect more from me! Actually got some electric/lighting questions now so will post those in the right place!

Thanks

that price is just for the boiler. it wont include the flue, any extra pipework, flushing the system or labour. that'll bring the price up alot. i work for the most expensive company and we charge at least £3000 fora boiler swap. ok it sounds like you've got a great tenant, but he still is only a tenant.

my suggestion

ask him how much he expects to save on the gas bills
suggest he should agree to pay a set pecentage every month of what he expects to save towards the cost off the boiler

i would pitch it somwhere between 25 to 50 percent of the average saving for say 3 years maximum
this will make him think as he has now got some cost connected to his suggestion

if he understates the savings then on a cost savings analasis its not worth it ;)

would also limit extra payment to 25 to 50% of your full costs so if it costs you a total of £900 for the install you stop charging extra after reciving between £225 and £450

Sounds like you've got a gem there so keep the guy happy and stick in a new boiler.

You can't lose really.

Tony.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back