boiler electronics advice

Yes as Paul says it's cobblers.

You pick up the yellow pages and you dont know whether you're going to get someone with near mystic diagnostic skills and the spares in his pocket, or a donkey who wouldn't know how to jump-start a car.

Try to get yourself on to some manufacuter's courses (they're free usually) which will put the stuff you have to learn from book, into context.
The basic Amps Volts Ohms AC DC stuff is (was) covered in school physics, at GCSE / O/ whatever it is now, level. Some of the other physics around that level about pressures and flow comes in handy too.
Wouldn't be a bad start.

There's not much in boilers you'd get involved in which would really be called electronics - it's mostly switches, and following the sequence of things.

I can sympathise if you got the Alan Harris version of what a combi is at Nescot. I think he sees them as a temporary distraction from the important aspects of plumbing - ie lead work!

Sponsored Links
cheers chris

you are right as with the others. I need to go to the basics and the GCSE physics seems a good place, will get some books.

Hopefully when I get set up on my own, I will be honest with the customers and NEVER take on something that I do not know about.
I would willingly go to, for example, an old pensioners home and service their boiler for free (well a cup of tea and a biscuit) Take as long as it takes to strip it down, with MIs ofcourse, and give it a good clean.

I do know of Alan, but he does not do any of the gas training. Nice bloke though.

essexsi said:
Bster no I do not know how to check for a 240v supply, so yes I take on board what you say and thanks for your posts.

They used to teach that at school!!!

Did you not go to school or is it the teaching thats crap these days?

I'm for the radio hams thing as well. Thats what I did to pick up the electronics side. While I dont pratt about with scopes checking wave forms and that I do have a clue of whats going on on a pcb and can pull off the occasional bit of electronic wizardry here and there.

Not schools but borstals here in essex!!

No I did not cover that at school. Was there just as the amalgamated biology, chemistry and physics into what they called a double award in sciences.

Have read about this 'radio ham' suggestion on another thread and thanks for reminding me of it.

Sponsored Links
Paul Barker said:
I think it's a load of cobblers.

The necessary knowledge to fix a combi is not included in any acs training or corgi pre-registration interrogation. A radio amateur is better equiped to fix a combi than a corgi registered individual.

I knew my Amateur radio Licence was all I needed to fix combis! Now I can chuck in my CORGI !

184194 out and G8ABQ in !!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back