boiler flue sitting close to garden shed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a homeserve boiler repair plan and it covers the failure of the 3 port valve in our airing cupboard which needs replacing. however, the engineer came and inspected the boiler and submitted a report to homeserve stating that the work cannot be done as the boiler flue is too close to our garden shed- which is situated 32 cms away from the edge of the flue and it is a health and safety issue. I can get the work done if i empty and move the shed or get an independent report saying that this is not a safety issue- which i would have to pay for and get re-imbused from homeserve , I am not a plumber or gas engineer , the one who came round and submitted the report was very unfriendly and unhelpful and didn't seem to want to do the work, but is he right? Any advice please.

Sponsored Links
What has the boiler flue position got to do with changing a 3 port valve?
Ditch them in favour of a local independent to do the work.
If you could post a pic of the flues position, It may only be classed as not to current standards.

That is the problem wilth insurances of any type.
They will do their best to wriggle out of them.

How can a flue have anything to do with a 3 port valve!!!

Sounds like a jobs worth engineer. Or perhaps he gets paid
if he can find something so they don't have to do anything.

Sponsored Links
The boiler is a Glow worm fuelsaver mk2 and the engineer told me the flue siting was illegal so he wouldn't be able to do the work under the repair plan, I could pay for someone else to do it but having paid £13 a month for 2 yrs feel that i shouldn't have to.
images here: note the shed is 32 cms away from front of flue as well as to one side, the shed is not directly in front of flue

//www.diynot.com/network/pete.gorst/albums/

Flue terminal should be 600mm from opening into building/surface facing a terminal , seems the terminal is too close to door opening along with shed.

In any case this should be classed as NCS unless the engineer deemed POCs to be entering the building (unlikely) , seems to me the 'engineer' tried to wriggle out of carrying out any repairs. , shame on homeserve.

Why wasn't this pulled up by homeserve when you took out the insurance plan? , i'd be asking for all my money back.

This sort of attitude gets my goat with these type insurance scams , I can see all this type of nonsense coming to a head just like the way PPI has gone , plenty good honest independants out there

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back