Boiler in bathroom - help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

I currently have a combi boiler in my bathroom that's about four years old. It's located inside a full-length airing cupboard that's made up of a wooden door, a structural wall to the left, a structural wall to the rear and a stud wall to the right. You could stand inside it if it weren't for the shelves, so it's pretty large. The cupboard is located next to the end of the bath and the bath has a fully tiled surround.

At the moment the taps and shower of the bath are at the opposite end of the bath, so quite far away from the boiler cupboard.

My question is this:

1) The boiler manual says the boiler must be installed beyond zone two. Does its current position contravene these rules, or does the fact that it's inside an enclosed cupboard mean it's ok?

2) I'm about to refurbish the bathroom and would ideally like to move the bath taps and shower-head to the opposite end of the bath, so they will be sharing the same wall as the boiler cupboard (albeit on the other side).

As mentioned above, the shared wall is a stud wall that is fully tiled on the bath side and about three inches thick. Will it contravene building regulations to have the taps and shower head on the other side of a wall that is part of the boiler cupboard?

I should also mention that there's a socket in the boiler cupboard which the boiler is plugged into. This is on the left-hand wall when you open the cupboard.

I did have it serviced last year and the engineer didn't mention anything, but having read up on this stuff prior to the refurb I'm a bit worried.

If anyone can shed any light that would be most appreciated - cheers!

Sponsored Links
Can you post pictures of it. Its difficult to make a decision with your description.... may be ok.. may be against regs!

As it's in a cupboard, it's not part of the bathroom zones, so you can set you mind at rest there. And the taps etc can be on the wall on the other side of the cupboard without any problems either.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
As it's in a cupboard, it's not part of the bathroom zones, so you can set you mid at rest there. And the taps etc can be on the wall on the other side of the cupboard without any problems either.
Well doggonit Doggit I'd have said the same myself. Except I'd have said "mind" !

So would I have, if I could read what I wrote. Word blindness at best, and Dyslexia at worst.

And that's on a good day.

The boiler manual says the boiler must be installed beyond zone two.
For the record,"beyond zone 2" is the regs way of saying "not touchable by someone using the bath/shower." So that may guide you in terms of safety if that's what concerns you.

Evening all,

Thanks for the replies and for putting my mind at rest!

Lemon - I've uploaded a photo now so you can see (sorry, I'm not the best at describing things).

FullSizeRender.jpg

John - the boiler is out of reach as it's at the back of the cupboard, but I suppose you could potentially touch the plug socket if you stood up in the bath, opened the cupboard door and stretched quite far. The socket could potentially be moved further inside the cupboard so it was 100% out of reach if necessary.

Zones do not extend into cupboards.
Taps can be mounted on the wall, as can showers or any other plumbing fittings.

You are making a big deal over nothing.

Thanks Flame. The reason I was concerned is because I spoke to a builder recently who seemed quite shocked the boiler was in the bathroom and said it wouldn't be done nowadays. Got me worried!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back