Boiler in Loft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I have a customer who wants a boiler fitted in the loft. It is not floored and there is no ramsey lader for access.

I was always under the impression that the floor must be floored and there must be a fixed access?

I was soeaking to another engineer today and he said it is puerly a health and safety issue during the installation and that if we are happy to fit it it is not a gas safety issue.

Can anyone confirm if you are allowed to install the boiler in the loft that is not floored etc?

I can call gas safe but have a feeling it may be more to do with building regs??

Would appreciate any advice.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
"Yes, a boiler can be installed in a loft as long as the system is sealed. The loft itself has to have a drop down ladder attached to the hatch,the floor has to be boarded from the hatch to the boiler location and there has to be adequate lighting up there so the engineer can gain access quite easily to the boiler to repair or maintain. Also the standard ventilation requiremants also apply."

This was a quote I found, hope it helps you.

You could install it without any of the stuff you mentioned, but if there is a manufacturers call out in warranty, then they might not go into the loft.

I was looking at this myself a few weeks ago. General consensus...

Fixed access, fixed flooring to the boiler and secure floor to work from and fixed lighting. Also a handrail around the hatch.

What I did was to decide on the boiler, and phone the manufacturer to see their exact requirements to loft boilers.

HTH

Graham

Sponsored Links
Building regulations provide proper access. Floor boards, lights, hand rail.
Not worth it. The boiler goes downstairs period. I wouldn't entertain it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back