Boiler Location

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had wanted to put the new condensing combi (sorry) boiler in a seperate utility room, but it now seems that this isnt going to be possible.

So our options are to have it in the Kitchen or the Cellar.

Kitchen is due to be completely re-done very soon; two partition walls to come down (one right next to possible boiler location); and I dont really want to waste space for the boiler.

Cellar is a good option from a convenience point of view. It would put the boiler much closer to the Gas meter (so less flow restriction) but would increase the distace to the hot taps from 3m to Bathroom to 17m to Bathroom.

Is this going to make hot water flow to bathroom terrible, unbearably slow to come through etc?

Also how much heat will the boiler itself give out as local radiant heat? I do want to heat the cellar slightly to keep my tools dry (with heat exchange ventilation)

Condensate drain may also be a problem in the cellar as there is currently no drainage there...

Any help/guidance much appreciated

Sponsored Links
Is it possible to get REALLY REALY good pipe lagging to help reduce the delay?

I don't think you will be able to put it in the cellar due to flue discharge. :( The Corgis will give you chapter and verse on this.
As for your 17 m dead leg :eek: forget it.

I have approx 10 m from boiler to kitchen taps and it takes a few minutes for the hot to come through even tho I have lagged the whole run.

Put it into the kitchen or you will regret it. :D

^^^ Thanks, that is what I was affraid of.

I dont think the flue would be a problem since the cellar is only half below ground at that point so I think it could have exited a good foot above ground...

Sponsored Links
A foot above ground is the minimum, and then only if the area where the flue discharges is rarely walked on.
The condensate could be pumped away, pumps are being made for the purpose.
If the 17m of pipework is 15mm the pipework alone will hold about 2.5 litres. At 10 l/min that's 15 seconds. Add that to the boiler's delay, minimum 10 seconds - say half a minute, which is pretty horrible. Unless the water has just been run, the pipe will be cold - all the insulation in the world won't help!

Flues can bevery long with a few boilers - is it possible to move the boiler nearer the tap, still in the basement?

Yep, the boiler could move to the bit of cellar directly below the kitchen but that part of the cellar is fully below ground and right by the back door etc so quite well used. Any heat that the boiler gave off locally would also be pretty much wasted in that area of the cellar.
It is also a vaulted cellar in that part so routing the flue would be fun...

I discussed it with the missus last night and she thinks the delay we have now (in our current house, the combi is for a new house we are moving to soon) is unacceptable. That's with the hot tank right in the bathroom, within 3m of pipe of the sink and only about 5m to the Kitchen tap!!! The delay must be less than 10 seconds even when it hasnt been run for ages...

But I just KNOW she will be moaning about the noisy boiler in the kitchen otherwise...

Really dont fancy having the flue come up through the vault of the cellar and then taking up space in the kitchen on it's way to a suitable outlet point...

Just stick a small( say 15l) unvented water heater right under the kitchen for the sink then. They cost under a ton and keep very hot water well insulated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back