Boiler making strange sea-like noises!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have an oil fired Worcester Bosch Greenstar Camray 18/25 condensing boiler (less than 2 yrs old) in the garage. It is mains pressure (we have no tanks in the loft.)

I noticed this morning when it came on to heat the water for the cylinder, it's making strange noises like the sea lapping against a harbour wall or a boat hull! (Quite restful actually).

The water is hot and plentiful, the pressure is steady at 1.5 bar and the boiler definitely comes on as I hear the exhaust pipe outside blowing away. Husband bled the radiators tonight and a bit of air came out but not much and boiler still making sea noises.

Does anyone know what might be causing this, is it normal, is it dangerous, and/or can it be left for the boiler's service in September?

Very grateful for any advice! :confused:

Sponsored Links
If you have bled radiators, and yours is a SEALED system, have you topped up the system pressure at the filling loop? the system pressure should be 1.00 - 1.50 bar sounds like there is a low water situation occuring! if left unchecked will damage the circulating pump and possibly the wonderful(not) plastic parts on the boiler due to overheating! ;)

Yes as mentioned, pressure is steady at 1.5. I don't want to increase it just at present.

if you stop the oil burner does the noise stop immediately or simply carry on even with the boiler not firing? if the noise stops as soon as the burner is switched off the Condense drain may be blocked - I would get an Oil SERVICE ENGINEER to have a look at it ;)

Sponsored Links
Check the flow and return pipes coming out of the boiler, make sure there are no air-traps where air could accumulate and stop the flow of water. The pipes should rise continulousy to the open vent or an air vent.

Look for any pipes that resemble an inverted 'U' or are run up-across-down. There should be an air vent at every such high point.

..for your replies. Worcester Bosch engineer came out (boiler is under warranty thank heavens, 5 yrs) - he said there was air in the system and bled it out, showing me the two little nozzles on top of the boiler (like those on end of rads). Seems OK now!

So he did just what Onetap had suggested!

Not really a warranty issue.

I do hope you are getting it serviced regularly and the engineer would check those vent points if he is conscientious.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back