Boiler moved by a guy that isn't Gas Safe registered.

Did he fill the benchmark in at the back of the installation manual ? Think I already know the answer to this :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Gas Safe will look into complaints about registered businesses and also inspect and investigate reports of illegal gas work.

If you know they are registered you go down the 'complaint'/nominate route. If you aren't sure they are/think they aren't go down the illegal reporting route.

Don't worry if you accidentally do it the wrong way round it won't matter from their end and they will arrange the right person to inspect. Be it an inspector or investigations officer

Of course you say you had "Several Quotes" and this one was the CHEAPEST so Question: What have you learned from this experience?

ans: Cheapest is seldom best!
;)

my van has no gas safe logo, i love how other trades and even other RGI's will raise "concerns" about a person, makes them look better and more conscientious obviously.

no we raise concerns when the guy has been asked at least twice & all he had to do was show his card or give his reg no, if he's illegal then he could put lives at risk plus it's another job that one of us has lost or don't either of those things bother you ?

Sponsored Links
Let's hope the OP has success with Gas Safe tomorrow.

AND

That the OP reports back and keeps us updated.

All to often this stuff gets swept under the carpet and our trade gets it rep tarnished even more.

Gas Safe are well and truly on test if the OP follows through.

The fact is that you dont know if he is registered or not!

You're right, I don't. Other than the fact he refused an invitation to show that he is. And as has been said before, a registered person (in any field) would welcome the chance to prove their worth.

You would expect so but the reality is that many dont like having their virility ( sorry, credentials ) questioned.

Do you know even his proper name?

I have the name given to me by another tradesman, by which he responded to on every occasion.

If he has a false name or just a first name like Mick then he is going to answer to it. Even if it is his correct first name its hardly going to be sufficient to identify him without a surname!

When contacting Gas Safe you should ask for an inspection of an installation by a non registered installer. Its free to you because we pay fees to them to cover this kind of thing.

Tony

http://www.gassaferegister.co.uk/help/report_an_illegal_gas_engineer.aspx

To help us investigate, you will need to give us as many details about the illegal gas worker as you can;

the illegal gas worker's name
the company name
a description of your encounter with the illegal gas worker
Giving your contact details is optional, but it can often be useful when we investigate your report. We will keep your details confidential and only the people investigating the report will see this information.

The information you give us will be sent to our Investigations Team who will review the case and take the appropriate action. Where possible, they will contact the householder to inspect any work the illegal gas worker may have carried out.

Meanwhile, the house blows up.

What a waste of time that shower are

Where has Sponge gone?

We are waiting to hear the results of his "find an engineer" check.

And his contacting Gas Safe for an inspection.

Tony

Oh dear, so much for being on a budget. As for paperwork and certs, they mean very little. look around the professional sector and see how many end up in the pokey or struck off or dead. Pay your dough and take your chances, ho ho

I haven't gone anywhere, I've been working. I'm not a one-post troll. :rolleyes:

The 'plumber' is ignoring our calls/sms.

We have contacted the window fitter that recommended him and he is still of the opinion the guy is registered and he is going to chase him up. We are waiting for the results of this 'investigation' before we take the matter up with Gas Safe.

Due to the amount of work that is going on we aren't living in the house at the moment and the boiler has been off since it was moved. (Apart from when he turned it on to check it heated rads/water.)

He was the cheapest by £50. If it had been a case of too cheap, then of course we would have crossed him of the list. As we had a recommendation for him and not the other guy (picked at random from Yellow Pages), we went with the recommendation. I don't think that was unreasonable.

I will admit I should have insisted on seeing credentials at the very beginning. In my defence, I now feel awkward doing this as it if feels like I'm questioning someones professionalism and casting aspersions. But then that might be down to some of the trades-people I've dealt with responding like I have. :confused:

Has he given you any paperwork at all?

Did he give you an invoice???

Did you use the find an installer as I suggested?

If you don't want to do it than send me your postcode and the name you have for the installer and I will do it for you!

Tony

It's not a case of not wanting to do it. I don't have enough information to do it, yet.

It is my intention to get my wife working on the window fitter (today), extracting information from him that will allow me to pursue the gas fitter.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back