Boiler noise and weirdness

D

DIYLover38

I’m wondering if anyone can help with what is wrong with my boiler? So I’m awake this morning before the hot water kicks in, but when it does I hear the boiler make a noise (like water hammer - clunk) it fires up for about 5 mins, another clunk and done. It continues this on and off for the whole heating up period.

Edited: boiler is Potterton suprima HE50

My questions are:

• Is it dangerous?
  • Would this contribute to my hot water issue?
  • Will it be using any more gas?
  • Is it likely to be a inexpensive fix or new boiler time?
Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
Thank you Andrew, sorry I meant to put this, it’s a potterton suprima He50.

Sponsored Links
I thought your hot water was either the weather or an issue with the zone valve?

I wouldn’t think it would use more gas, the noise I don’t think is dangerous, might be best checking with potterton? Price of gas valve + fitting, so approx £150 plus fitting. Hot water is unrelated.

If it sounds dangerous, it could be the circulating pump. My boiler sounded like it was going to explode when the pump seized. The overheat protection kicked in and clunked. Since your boiler runs for 5 minutes before clunking, may be the flow is weak. See if you can increase the flow on the pump itself. Checking pump is easy:

Thank you for replying, but I don’t think it’s this as this was replaced less than 12 months ago, and the noise is at the boiler (garage) and pump is in the house.

The overheat valve is at the boiler. Pumps don't clunk. They are either whirring or silent.

It clunks on startup and finish, and in between. Also I’m not having to reset it for it overheating?

Overheat is just a possibility. But very scary clunks are to do with the water rather than gas because of the large force in the flowing water. No way to tell what kind of clunk you have over the internet :) When my overheat water valve(s) clunked, the boiler shook, and I was seriously worried it would explode. The closest analogy I came across was as if there was a midget in the boiler kicking it angrily from the inside and trying to get out.

There should be a flow rate control on the pump. If it's not at max, you can increase the flow rate. This might make a difference to any overheating problems. If already at max, then the only thing you can do is make sure it's running and running properly. If you turn the impeller with a screw driver there should be no resistance.

My system makes a racket when air gets into the hot water circuit, have you tried bleeding and checked for minor leaks ?

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back