Boiler not starting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone suggest why my Potterton Netaheat Profile 60e boiler doesn't ignite? The fan runs and the air pressure switch is heard to operate - both the switch and the PCB being brand new components. The fan starts up in the normal way but no igniter action takes place. The igniter was working satisfactorily until an overheat cutout after air had entered the system from separate work elsewhere. Resetting has restored fan operation but not ignition.

Sponsored Links
You're lucky to have good enough hearing to tell that the pressure switch is working! The correct way is to test it for correct switching with a test meter and then go from there. If you changed the pcb and the aps are all the connections correct?

They will only run with the case on - it's a negative case pressure boiler.

No its not, its positive pressure and thats what makes it somewhat dangerous in the wrong hands. Correct in that it will only run with the case sealed correctly.

Sponsored Links
Yes indeed, I was wrong about the pressure, but right about it needing the case on.

take its button at the bottom pcb what keeps flicking out
if so bled your rads try again if not get back to us

The main case was not removed and all was firing up fine until a system draindown necessitated closure (for diverter valve replacement). Unfortunately some air must have remained in the pipes after this and this caused the boiler overheat cutout to operate. On bleeding this air off, the reset switch was then activated. All then started up OK, minus the ignition sparks.

is the pump working?

Have you tried bleeding the pump?

no fan would not start iwould get an rgi in
p.s. on this model aps is near the pcb out side the cc

If the fan can be heard along with air pressure switch operating (no hunting) then i would be checking ignition lead @ board , sometimes these can come adrift , if fan operates then OH stat is working ok (contacts closed) , if fan hunts then i would be checking board , APS or pilot solinoid.

On looking through a schematic wiring diagram the only thing in the ignition chain so far unchecked seems to be the spark electrode. Is it likely that this could be damaged? The connection from the PCB to this part seems to be sound enough. But I will also check if there is air in the main pump, as suggested. I promise that if I get to the bottom of this mystery I'll happily let you know!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back