boiler not working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have a glow worm micron 66 ff boiler, it comes on for 5mins and then clicks off, the pump and the surrounding pipes are very hot but radiators are cold
The 2 lights ( reset and boiler) remain unlit
I have tried to reset but when i turn switch clockwise you can normally here it click and the boiler light up, this is not happening.
When i checked the pump last night it seemed to be working but i cant check it now because nothing is happening.
Is it a blockage? i opened a few raditors and the water is flying out ok
Do i need a system flush?
would it solve the problem?

need double advice please

Thanks
Keser

Sponsored Links
i have a glow worm micron 66 ff boiler, it comes on for 5mins and then clicks off, the pump and the surrounding pipes are very hot but radiators are cold
The 2 lights ( reset and boiler) remain unlit
I have tried to reset but when i turn switch clockwise you can normally here it click and the boiler light up, this is not happening.
When i checked the pump last night it seemed to be working but i cant check it now because nothing is happening.
Is it a blockage? i opened a few raditors and the water is flying out ok
Do i need a system flush?
would it solve the problem?

need double advice please

Thanks
Keser

What pressure is in the system (minimum 1 bar)

Are most (or all) of the radiators open (left to open) and bled (air released until water comes out)so the heat has some where to go, just check if you are not sure.

Are all fuses okay?

You seem to be describing two faults, a lack of circulation and a boiler which you say stops working.

But you dont say what is done to make it work again.

Get a competent engineer to diagnose the fault before you rush into an expensive powerflush.

Tony

thanks for your replies
Yes the micron has no bar indictators to show pressure and yes i only opened the radiator nearest the boiler which showed good pressure when opened
Yes i didn't make myself clear, to get it working again i let everything cool down and then i done reset but it didnt come on straight away as it should do, it normally clicks on when you turn the reset switch clockwise and the boiler fires up, this isnt happening now?

Sponsored Links
the pump seemed to be working last night but i cant tell now because i cant fire her up, can i test the pump without the boiler being on?

up date gents
i took the screw out the front of pump and moved the speed indictator on side of pump slightly, pump started and then i done a reset on the boiler it started straight away! i m just going to see wether it clicks off after it gets hot9 which i expect it to) and then i will come back to you

yep, as i thought after about 5 mins boiler clicked off, pipes are all hot near the boiler, pump working but radiator nearest to it stone cold and normally warms up very quickly!
Its got to blocked surely?

Just cos the pump motor is rotating don't mean the impellor is pushing water around!! I still think the Pump is the key to this one!! ;)

Is it possible that an isolation valve has been turned off by mistake just under the boiler? This happened to someone - when topping up the system at the filling loop, a valve on the return pipe was knocked off. This boiler had isolation valves on all the connections flow, return, gas , filling etc. - as part of the boiler (i.e not added by the plumber).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back