boiler on/off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a ideal classic ff 260 boiler that comes on for a minute then turns off for 30 seconds then lights up again for a minute.The boiler setting is on 6.If i turn the thermostat down on the boiler then this will switch the boiler off so i know that the stat is working as is the room stat.
Could this be a faulty sensor in the boiler?
I live in a house that is 3 years old and all the houses have the same boiler but no one seems to have the same problem as me
any ideas?

ian m

Sponsored Links
Does it get very hot in that 30 seconds - dud pump?

Could be a faulty sensor - worth a call to Ideal.

The rads do get hot.
I think it could be a sensor that is at fault.
I will phone Ideal to see if they can help

I have been on to Ideal and they think that it could be the stat in the boiler.Will i have to get a plumber to do this or is it a job i could do my self.What would be involved?

Sponsored Links
Ian the 3 things on the boiler that could cause this cycling on/off problem are:
thermister ( black lead from pcb to top left of heat exchanger)
Potentiometer ( from the back of the black knob on the front to the pcb)
Pcb- ( board 25c)

The only sure way to tell is to check the resistance of the thermister in conjunction with the temperature the boiler shuts off at.

A relatively easy task for any Heating engineer to do, I would steer clear from the change em' and see cowboys.

If you need any more info let me know- I have the resistances filed somewhere.

Best Regards.

As boilers are very reliable, my first check would be the flow and return temperatures of the boiler as this would indicate a faulty pump or blocked circuit.

Pump setting should be "2".

Next would be the power input to the boiler as if too high that would cause the same problem.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back