Boiler outside!?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have just put an offer in on a house. One unusual thing is that the boiler is situated in a brick out house attached to the outside wall (behind the fire)
The house is a 4 bed detached, the 'outhouse' is attached to the main house and is brick built. It appears very well put together, solid brick construction, nice and dry. Inside is a BAXI floor standing boiler. It is getting on a bit and so we would look to replace it if/when we decide to move in.

My question is do I really need to bring the boiler inside, or can I upgrade to a more efficient floor standing system and leave it where it is? (Costs say leave it where it is!)

Your expert advice would be greatfully appreciated! Any recommendations for floor standing boilers would be appreciated also if you think I could get away with replacing it!

Cheers1

Sponsored Links
You can leave it were it is, as long as it is installed buy a GasSafe installer all will be good as they will take care of all and any Issues.

Theres not much choice in floor standing boilers, although Worcester Bosch do have one.
It may not be possible to fit a new boiler outside but the MI's will give guidance.
You probably have an airing cupboard containing a cylinder and there are many instances of boilers fitted there.
Getting a survey done is the only sure fire way of fitting the best system for your property and its occupants.

There is no reason why a boiler should not go in an outside boilerhouse.

A wall mounting boiler should be able to be fitted there too.

Tony

Sponsored Links
leave it where it is i am sure it will
give many years of happy service
with just a yearly check

From what you discribe, brick built, attached to main building, nice and dry, any boiler should be able to be fitted there. But it is worth a quick call to the manufacturer to check, as there may be a compromise on the IPxx rating of the boiler.

Had a boiler in a wooden garden leanto with inadequate weather proofing (floor was wet) and the warranty was made void.

Would an older boiler like that have frost protection ? I'd be concerned about frozen pipes with our recent extreme winters, but I guess it must have survived so far !

It is up to the Installer to "Engineer" their own frost protection for boiler house installations (including Garages)
a few modern boilers have "built-in" frost protection, but this cannot be relied on to protect anything but the boiler! ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back