Boiler Overheat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a wall mounted Baxi Solo 2 80 PF which started overheating.
I have had changed the fan and thermostat sensor, but it still overheats.
Any suggestions as to cause?
I have bought an oveheat thermostat kit and that is the next to be changed, but the one in my boiler is screw in, but the kit is a clip on type, which I am told is the replacement part. Anyone confirm if this is correct?

Sponsored Links
do your radiators feel any hotter than normal to the touch?....does it still cut out on the overheat when you turn the boiler stat down to minimum?

Sponsored Links
also this boiler has an 8 minute pump overrun to dissipate the heat. What sort of system are you running?, s or y plan?, trvs?, bypass with open valve?

The fan, thermostat sensor and oveheat thermostat have all now been changed.
The system ran for 9 hours without overheating, with the boiler thermostat setting set at just below 4 on the regulator. After tunring up to 4, within an hour, the overheat light was showing and the boiler shut down.
Regarding the rad temperatures, yes, they probably did feel a bit warmer than normal.

Ok lets start from the beginning, taking into account we can discount the boiler stat and the overheat stat. Does the pump continue to run for 8 minutes after the end of a central heating demand?, is the pump spinning at the correct speed?, have you visually checked the impellor is spinning?. What type of system are you on s plan or y plan?, is there a bypass?....is it open?

Sorry for my ignorance, but are what are the s and y plans?

Regarding the pump, this was renewed about 12 months ago.

The system is pumped heating and gravity hot water.
The pump does run on for a few minutes, but I have noticed that the pump is not on maximum, so I have now turned to maximum in case this would help, but everything has been OK up until now.

you have identified your problem with the information supplied now get a competent engineer to rectify the mistake,here are the clues
gravity hot water
pump runs on
boiler is not compatible with this sys as it has a built in pump overrun!!!
the water will not gravitate to dissipate the heat so goes to lockout :LOL: :cry: :cry: :LOL: :LOL:

Sorry, my mistake in stating gravity hot water.
The system has run OK for 6 years and was installed and has been service twice a year by CORGI engineer.
It is he that has renewed the components mentioned above, although did state it was not the fan, but I asked for a change, whilst work was being carried out.

Ok so is it an s or a y plan? and does it have a bypass which is open enough to let the pump overrun dissipate the heat?. It may be an automatic bypass valve or it may simply be a gate valve.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back