boiler pilot light going out

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello everybody, just wondering if anyone could give a reason why my ma's back boiler pilot light should be going out after the gas meter has been changed. it,s a baxi bermuda 551 and i know it's quite old but has been fine up to the meter was changed about a month ago by the gas board, after that the pilot light has been going out occasionaly. it will re light no problem and boiler will fire up and run no problems at all. iv'e changed the thermocouple just in case but no improvement, the boiler and pilot flames seem to be a nice colour and everywhere is clean and dust free. it's really getting her down as she's 88 and worries about things,plus it's a pain for me having to drive 5 miles everytime she rings up and tells me its gone out again.
Any ideas on the matter would be really appreciated, many thanks.

Sponsored Links
How did you manage to change the thermocouple without removing the fire front. If you removed the firefront, how did you check for gas soundness?

My advice would be, get a heating engineer to check out the appliance.

No one here will tell you what the problem is,as you`ve pretty much proved you can`t be trusted around gas appliances and you are a danger to your mother.
Get a Gas Safe Registered Engineer in to service it.

How did you manage to change the thermocouple without removing the fire front. If you removed the firefront, how did you check for gas soundness?

My advice would be, get a heating engineer to check out the appliance.

hi again, thanks for the reply, the firefront was removed after disconnecting one connector down by the control valve for the gas fire, when connecting up again leak detector spray was used. i,ve no intention of doing anything else, it's just started after the meter was changed and has done it approx three times in about two weeks which it has never done before.

Sponsored Links
No one here will tell you what the problem is,as you`ve pretty much proved you can`t be trusted around gas appliances and you are a danger to your mother.
Get a Gas Safe Registered Engineer in to service it.

thanks for your advice, i'll take it on board, just for your info, the fire has been serviced every year by a registered gas engineer, i just thought i'd post and see if anyones opinion might be the same as the gas engineer when we get him, obviousley you guys keep things close to your chest and dont want anyone else to endanger lives which is understandable, but as i said before i was just wondering if anyone could explain why it could have happened after the meter was changed and if there was anything the gas board should have done when they changed the meter.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back