Boiler Pressure TOO HIGH

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Greenstar 24i junior combi

The pressure dropped to zero so I looked online how to increase and did so with the filling loop (which was already connected) Now the pressure is on 3 and slightly above when heating is on. I tried bleeding the radiator in the bathroom (5 or so litres) but the pressure remains the same.

Please advise what to do next. Thanks

Sponsored Links
are you sure you closed the loop at both ends? I think not.

bleed it until the pressure drops.

Observe the pressure (1) cold (2) hot. What is it?

Hi thanks for reply.

When cold it is just under 3. When hot, just over.

How can I be sure the loop is closed at both ends please?
There is nothing to turn! The left has a nut but no slot, the left has a slot for a flat head screwdriver only. Thanks

As mentioned, sounds like the loop is still open. Turned it off at both ends? Either that or you have an expansion vessel issue

My main concern though is that the Pressure Relief Valve should be operating at 3bar, do you have water being released from the copper pipe that runs outside?

Sponsored Links
looks like you left the slot inline still, which means the valve is still open it needs to be perpendicular to the valve.
With all that fresh water going in i would top up with inhibitor or you will have problems with corrosion.

Okay, panic over. I put it perpendicular as dean7445 said, bled rad now its dropped back to one. Cheers everyone! Hopefully I wont have any more problems!

You only have one valve, the screw on the right ISO valve at 90deg to the valve is off, inline is on.

Could really do with a new filing loop there though with proper taps etc.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/r24-filling-loop/83905

Now that's off, you need to bleed pressure off, down to 1 > 1.5bar

Need to understand why it dropped to 0 tho?? Could be the PRV is now passing and needs looked at. (john was in there 1st :) )

now that your pressure relief valve has been forced open, there is a fair chance it will continue to drip. In which case you will need a boiler mender to change it.

and don't forget the inihibtor, that £20 bottle will save you £100's in repairs.

Thanks for all the input everyone.
The pressure drops to zero maybe 3-4 times a year? Is this normal?
Do you think I should get a plumber out to give it the once over?

Thanks

No, that's not normal, you may find it's the Pressure Relief Valve that's letting by. Always advised to get an engineer out to give it a service, point out the pressure loss and he should check it all out.

Should be serviced once a year anyways.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back