Boiler Problem: No hot water upstairs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, having a problem with my boiler where i'm getting no hot water upstairs, it's rented and the landlord won't bite the bullet and replace it, i've listed some details wonder if anyone can give me an idea what the problem is, thanks

▪Vaillant Ecotec Plus 824 R1

▪Hot water at the kitchen (mixer)- tap works fine

▪No hot water upstairs basin/bath unless you only open tap 1/2 way then it works and gets hot (standard taps)

▪No hot water in the shower just very luke warm and almost cold even when not fully open

▪Also noticed the 15mm copper pipe outside behind boiler was dripping a lot more than i've noticed before

Hopefully that helps?

Sponsored Links
you shouldn't have any dripping water from that pipe , but you need it looked at by an rgi I'm afraid .

Stop paying your rent until he gets it sorted - & not by his handyman! :ROFLMAO:

Does it sound jiggered then i'm guessing?

Sponsored Links
You got two problems, the boiler needs a service and you have cold water passing into the hot supply probably through a shower or mixer tap.

Does it sound jiggered then i'm guessing?

Not "jiggered":ROFLMAO:. It just needs attention and/or parts! The lack of hot water is due to insufficient pressure in the system. You can top this up via the filling loop but as your discharge pipe is dripping then other factors are at play and it gets rather involved - look up pressure vessel charging if you would like to delve more yourself, but I would be on to the landlord saying that you are unable to shower/wash and he needs to get it sorted as this is what you pay rent for!

So why has he got hot water at the kitchen tap if its low water pressure in the boiler ?:whistle:

And run the risk of being taken to court for non payment of rent ... ?

Pressure too low to lift hot water to the first floor ?

Thanks Bernard but we are talking about the system pressure not the mains pressure.

Leverage Bernard, leverage!
It can work, provided the lever does NOT (edit) break.

Dodgy landlords ( I am not saying this is dodgy landlord ) can react to non payment of rent by starting the legal process ro re-possess the property after a month.

Last edited:
No hot water upstairs basin/bath

Thanks Bernard but we are talking about the system pressure not the mains pressure.

I don't think the system pressure it the pressure that has to lift hot water to the first floor. System pressure is ( in my understanding ) the pressure in the radiator system and that water does not ( should not ) supply the hot water taps. The only source of pressure to lift water ( assuming no pumps in the hot water supply ) is the mains pressure ( which may be reduced by a pressure reducer )

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back