Boiler repair gone wrong

right, this is where i am at present.

kev mentioned getting the loom replaced so i have taken the front off the boiler to see how easy it is to get to the loom. I thought seeing as though there is a wiring diagram on the inside of the boiler i would get my multi meter out and see if i can track down where the loom is faulty.

i have proven that all the wires in the loom are continuous with no breaks. so it is not the loom.

could it be the ignition pcb? how would i go about testing this?

faulty pressure sensor?

thanks for all the help so far.

Sponsored Links
best just changing the boiler mate honestly, a gas fitter who is compatant in repairs of that product.

just my opinion tho ;)

ok i'll wind my neck back in, im no plumber but i know my way around a circuit board.

I just want some idea of what might have gone wrong.

I have a set of service instructions but they mention lights on the pcb, which this one doesnt have, so i'm going to have to assume that the service instructions i have found on the net are for either an older or newer model of the si.

what i don know is that the loom is fine and if there is a cheaper way to fix the boiler then id like to explore those avenues. i realise it could be any number of things. Not sure what im going to say to the guy tomorrow, id like him to come out and have another look at the very least.

Sponsored Links
thanks again kev. got the correct si, but surprise surprise it's no use to me.

I'll print a copy and ask the guy to come back out and hopefully he can find a part that is fixable.

I have only checked the continuity of the wires, i didnt bother with resistivity so hopefully i'm not barking up the wrong tree.

plus i dont know what he actually tested as i wasnt here when he did that.

i think a chat is in order.

thanks again

what do you mean kev?

when he told me the loom was knacked because it had become brittle i just assumed that the wires had snapped. Are you saying that if the insulation breaks away a little at the end connections then the boiler wont work?

you got a big wedge burning a hole in your back pocket :?:

its not a complicated boiler

and you don't sound too thick for a smoggy

i would say chase it for a bit ;)

plenty of help on this forum fella :idea:

Being a working engineer, I have only just come across this thread.

It seems a little odd what the OP has said. First he said it was his boiler then he said its not his boiler!

It the fan was worn and noisy then it was ripe for replacement even if it was not the actual fault.

I was not impressed by his apparent feeble attempts to diagnose the problem based on fault flow charts. He should be able to use his own understanding of how boilers work to work out what to test and how.

As to him paying towards a new boiler I dont see how that can arise.

To check a wiring loom the first check is that every wire has continuity which means a resistance of less than one ohm.

Only in the most dire circumstances ( usually blowing fuses ) is it necessary to measure insulation and thats best done at 500v with a megger style insulation tester.

Tony

Being a working engineer, I have only just come across this thread.

It seems a little odd what the OP has said. First he said it was his boiler then he said its not his boiler!

It the fan was worn and noisy then it was ripe for replacement even if it was not the actual fault.

I was not impressed by his apparent feeble attempts to diagnose the problem based on fault flow charts. He should be able to use his own understanding of how boilers work to work out what to test and how.

As to him paying towards a new boiler I dont see how that can arise.

To check a wiring loom the first check is that every wire has continuity which means a resistance of less than one ohm.

Only in the most dire circumstances ( usually blowing fuses ) is it necessary to measure insulation and thats best done at 500v with a megger style insulation tester.

Tony

it is my boiler. when i said "its not my boiler im asking about" i meant that my original post was asking questions about the plumber.

and the only reason i brought up the plumber paying for some of the cost of replacing the boiler was because he said he broke the loom whilst replacing the fan, because he says the loom's old and brittle. (the boiler is 15 years old) But forget that now.

The boiler worked after he had changed the fan and didnt work again in the morning, so i thought it might not be the loom as surely the boiler would not have worked after he installed the fan.

I have checked for continuity across the loom and my multi meter says there is no breaks in the wire. but i did not check for a resistance of less than 1 ohm, i just used the buzzer on the meter that says their are no breaks in the wire.

thanks.

Myson appolo is not 15 years old try 25 plus came out around 1980.
Although a lot of parts are the same as thorn apollo they have a different PCB so be careful if it requires ordering,

What exactly is the boiler doing what stage does it get to NOW

Fan running then sparking and attempting to ignite
or
fan running and no ignition spark

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back