Boiler replacement - what steps should be taken?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am having an old Worcester 240 RSF replaced soon and was wondering what things should be done on the day of the job?

I know my 15mm gas feed is to be changed to 22mm and that a soakaway is to be installed but is there anything else that should happen?

I have had a few quotes and some have talked of a straight swap with the above steps and one said they will put some cleansing fluids in the system and use the old boiler to run it through for an hour or so to clean the system? The different opinions and approaches have made me a bit wary and confused.

Any tips are greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Some are going to do it properly and others are going to cut corners.

I notice none are to powerflush.

Manch has a lot of poor quality jobs because most want them done cheaply and so they end up with a cheap job.

Tony

Thanks Tony,

So you think a powerflush is a requirement.essential? Are you saying if an installer does not recommend a powerflush I should steer clear?

Thanks

Doing one of those on Wednesday.

Powerflushing is over rated and quite often badly done.
I clean the system as I see fit given the age of the system
and water that comes out.

I shall simply be installing a drain cock on the flow and letting
mains pressure fly around the system from the return.

After the that has run. I take the customer and I show them
the water that is coming out of the central heating.

That way there are no arguments. Customer has seen it.

Sponsored Links
Power flushing is the best way to clean a system.

It is not always needed.

I clean the system as I think necessary BUT then I fully guarantee my installation in all respects.

Tony

Thanks guys.

So a power flush is not always required.

The system is probably around 15-20 years old and some of the rads are not as hot at the bottom which makes me suspect sludge build up?

DCawkwell, is it fair to ask the installer to do a mains flush and show me the water as it leaves the system?

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back