Boiler Service Clearance and cupboard clash

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.

Just after a few good opinions on this.

I've had a new boiler put in, a Worcester 30si combi and it is positioned pretty much in the corner of the kitchen.

I'd like to put a cupboard on the adjacent wall but this cupboard will project into the 600mm clearance space needed for servicing the boiler.

Is it sensible to put up the cupboard and remove it each year for the annual service? Will the engineer NEED 600mm clearance in front or is it just a good sized space to work in? It looks like the casing will slide off in half that space.

I have stud framed plasterboard walls so the cupboard will be properly fixed to the wall, but is there any concern that the fixings will disagree with an annual removal and refit?

Thanks all for any help or different suggestions.

Sponsored Links
Things to consider

Servicing is possible in that space but not ideal so long as the front can come off.

For repairs it is best to have as much space as possible, but as you said if you are willing to remove the cupboard before the engineer arrives it shouldn't be a problem.

Your worcester will have come with a warranty of between 5-8 years. Should a warranty call be made the engineer could refuse to work on it and invalidate your warranty (this would be down the individual engineer to decide),but again aslong as the cupboard isn't in place at the time of the visit it should be a problem.

You need to provide the service clearances in the manual.

Simples.

How you provide that is up to you, but an engineer will be well within his rights to charge extra to make that space himself, or even refuse to work on the appliance until the correct clearances are provides.

okay so as long as the cupboard is removed the day before the boiler is due to be serviced then there's no problem.

It does have an 8 yr warranty and will be serviced each year so I guess my next step is to find a good way of fixing a kitchen cupboard to the a stud wall so it can be removed annually, effectively giving more than the manual required clearance.

cheers

Sponsored Links
okay so as long as the cupboard is removed the day before the boiler is due to be serviced then there's no problem

If I got £1 for every client that "Forgot" to provide access by removing a Cupboard or a worktop I would be a very wealthy Man!! :rolleyes:

okay so as long as the cupboard is removed the day before the boiler is due to be serviced then there's no problem

If I got £1 for every client that "Forgot" to provide access by removing a Cupboard or a worktop I would be a very wealthy Man!! :rolleyes:

yeah i will make sure im not one of 'those' customers, im trying to make it dead easy for the service from the outset. Although is that £1 because they forgot and £50 to remove the cupboard? Or £1 to refuse to service it and £50 call out and reattend fee? ;)

And that was a wee jokey before u set the corgis on me.

(there's another one)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back