BOILER SHUTTING DOWN DUE TO THE PUMP GETTING AIR INSIDE

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone, ok the heating system is a standard none combi type and
The boiler is a new Valliant, basically after turning the heating on for about one hour the boiler will start sounding pretty rough then shut down,
If I then bleed the central heating pump with the bleed screw in the middle of the pump the boiler will then start up again and run perfectly well for maybe an hour or so until the same problem starts again,
I have drained and flushed the system a few times, I have also added sentinel inhibitor, all the radiators get hot and never have any air inside and there are no leaks in the system,i have also replaced the heating pump just to make sure the old one didn't have a fault, but I would like to point out something that I am not sure about, the pump was fitted so that it pumps in the same direction as the old unit that I removed and that is upwards away from the solenoid that you can hopefully see in the picture
is this correct... thanks everyone Stephen

Sponsored Links
no it should be pumping towards the zone valve, you need to turn the pump body around so the arrow is facing down, plus if you have had a new boiler fitted then you should have had another zone valve fitted on the supply to the cylinder & had the single channel prog changed to a twin channel one, are you sure the installer was gas safe reg ?

looks like there is no cylinder stat fitted either! where's Matt Allwright when you need him?

or auto bypass, not that it needs it with cylinder always open due to no zone valve.

Sponsored Links
And the immersion is spurred of the heating supply.....You should get the installer back but something tells me there was no installer.

Is the OPs name Steveris, another name for Stevie Wonder!!!!. Cos he could make a better job than that. :D :D

Is this yet more proof of how much better Eastern European tradesmen are than us lazy, overpriced Brits?

I'd just put some more inhibitor in mate. You never know. Well whoever put that in obviously never knew either.

If my budgerigar did an install like that I'd still sack him.

Alfredo

Why does the coil reduce to 15mm ? Get the installer back and punch him in the mouth.

Why does the coil reduce to 15mm ? Get the installer back and punch him in the mouth.
Presumably he was trying to regulate the flow through the coil to avoid robbing all the heat from the heating circuit?
I was a little concerned about the angle of the hot water draw-off pipe. From the pics it looks like it could be going downhill as well.

Thanks everyone for the advice/comments, I will try the pump with the flow the other way,
The house is 20 years old and its the original heating system and plumbing, the plumber just replaced the boiler that is downstairs in the kitchen, he was gas safe registered but I will be the first to agree thst he has done a bad job, apart from a straightforward pump or radiator change I dont mess with these things myself. Again....thanks

So its possible that the original system was just pumping round the HW cylinder until the boiler stat was satisfied and the 2 port was wired up to a roomstat for the radiators....?

Seen that a few times on naff housing developments penny pinching.

All the same..if the installer you used for the boiler was Gas Safe registered he has broken every rule in the book as he is required to update the controls not least because you cannot utilise your new boiler at all properly unless it is managed correctly, Any installer worth his salt would have repiped that cylinder and added an extra two port and a new programmer and a cylinder stat.

It clearly doesn't work properly or you wouldn't be on here. I suspect that what you really need is a PROPER heating engineer to come in and sort it out. It may cost in the short term, but it will be a saving in the longer term and you will have a good working system. I don't know the installer who put your new boiler in, or the terms on which you engaged him, but what I can say is that what you have shown us is not a good advert for the profession one way or another.

Alfredo

Hi everyone ive tried the pump the other was around as suggested ( water flow and arrow pointing down and in the direction of the motorised valve, well everything worked fine for about 5 mins then the boiler started shutting down with the vaillant code F23 this in the manual reads....water shortage, temperature difference between flow and NTC too large.
Anyway
The pump is a new one and its a WILO.
Thanks all

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back